Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
6.2 MB | 25 pages
Phonemic Awareness Worksheets - Beginning Sounds
Goal: To identify beginning sounds in words.
- 24 pages of worksheets or 12 sets of 2-page worksheets!
- Each set includes one page that can be used to teach two different sounds (plus a bit of practice printing the letters that make those sounds) and a second page that is used to apply the knowledge and skills learned on the previous page.
- Students first complete the page that provides practice identifying and forming letter sounds.
- Students then complete the page that provides practice identifying the beginning sounds in words - students complete the words by filling in the beginning sounds.
- You can either laminate the worksheets or put them in plastic sleeves to make them reusable. Students use water-soluble, fine-tip markers to complete the worksheets. I laminated the worksheets because they looked better and were easier to work with.
- Remember to verbally go through the worksheets with students to make sure they know the words associated with each picture before they are sent off to work on their own!
- I like to bring out these worksheets when I am working with small groups of students (ideally no more than 4 students per group) – this may be one of several different phonemic awareness activities we work on during a session (20 minutes per session). After instructions are given, I send off two students to work on their own set of worksheets. Then, I directly work with the other two students on, for example, rhyming words.