Phonics Based Reading Comprehension Passages
What educators are saying
You teach phonics and you teach fluency & comprehension every day during your reading block. What if you could combine the two into a one-page phonics-based fluency passage with comprehension questions?!
This reading comprehension resource was created for kindergarten and 1st grade students.
Included in this bundle, are 89 passages focusing on each phonics component while focusing on reading fluency.
Two Options for Each of the 89 Passages:
- An option with 3 short answer comprehension questions for each passage OR
- A single page option with 2 multiple choice, 2 fill in the blank, and 1 short answer comprehension question.
Why Phonics-Based Passages?
- No Prep: Simply print and go. No folding, cutting, or gluing.
- Review Opportunity: Perfect for reviewing learned phonics skills through grade-level texts.
- Fluency Support: Use the fluency sets with embedded recording and accountability graphs to support students with fluency goals.
- Comprehension Checks: The comprehension sets include fill-in-the-blank and short answer questions.
- Great for Supplemental Support: Use the phonics-based passages for additional practice.
- Recording and accountability graph for tracking fluency and separate comprehension page
- Skills-based questions and comprehension questions for encouraging student growth and confidence.
- Phonics Based Passages in 2 different formats: Passage With Fluency Tracking and Optional Comprehension Page (or) Passage with Comprehension Questions
- Short Vowels: ad, am, ag, an, ap, at, ab, ed, en, et, id, ig, im, in, ip, it, ob, og, op, ot, ub, ug, um, un
- Long Vowels: ai, ay, a-e, ea, ee, ey, ie, y, ie, i-e, igh, o-e, oa, or, ow, ew, u-e, ue
- Blends: bl, cl, fl, gl, pl, sl, br, cr, dr, fr, gr, pr, tr, sc, sk, sl, sm, sn, sp, sl
- R-Controlled Vowels: ar, er, ir, or, ur
- Digraphs: sh, th, ch, ph, wh, ck
- Three Letter Blends: thr, shr, spl, squ, spr, str, scr
- Diphthongs: au, aw, oi, oy, ou, oo, ow (snow), ow (clown)
Thank you for your purchase! By purchasing this resource, you are agreeing that the contents are the property of Emily Garcia/Education to the Core, and licensed to you only for classroom/personal use as a single user. I retain the copyright, and reserve all rights to this product.
- Use items (free and purchased) for your own classroom students, or your own personal use.
- Reference this product in blog posts, at seminars, professional development workshops, or other such venues PROVIDED there is both credit given to myself as the author and a link back to my store is included in your post/presentation.
- Distribute and make copies of free items only to other teachers PROVIDED there is credit given to Emily Liscom Garcia and a link back to my store.
You May Not:
- Claim this work as your own, alter the files in any way, or remove/attempt to remove the copyright/watermarks.
- Sell the files or combine them into another unit for sale/free.
- Post this document for sale/free elsewhere on the internet. (This includes Google Doc links on blogs.)
- Obtain this product through any of the channels listed above. Thank you for abiding by universally accepted codes of professional ethics while using this product.
If you have any questions about this resource, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org