Practice Activity for reviewing closed, open & closed exception syllables:
1. Complete the cloze rules for Closed, Open & Closed Syllable Exceptions
2. Color code the closed (red), open (blue) & closed syllable exceptions (purple) in the grid using the rules to expose the design. Any words that don't follow the rules can be left blank or colored a separate color.
4. Check answers with the included color-coded teacher's guide/answer key
1. All 'words' included are nonsense words that follow the rules of closed syllables (ends with a consonant, vowel is short), open syllables (ends with a vowel, vowel is long) and closed exceptions (ends with a consonant, but the vowel is long) in order to be sure that students practice, apply and decode the first two syllable types instead of simply memorizing or reciting by memory. Reminder rules are included, in addition to the reminder sentence for closed exceptions (You can fIND the wILD cOLT by the OLD pOST.)
2. Words, and rule-based reminders are color-coded to help with cementing English language rules into memory - this lesson is ideal for students with reading disabilities, ELLs and secondary students who need more strategic instruction and systematic practice opportunities.
3. Teacher's answer key included
4. Great for independent practice, interactive notebooks and informal assessment.