In the Phonics Creations Activities short vowel set, five activities are included for each short vowel (a, e, i, o, u). The following items are included for each vowel in the bundle:
1. Introduction for each short vowel begins with an auditory discrimination activity in which students sort pictures that match the targeted vowel. For example, students cut out planets containing only short a pictures and glue them in space with the astronaut.
2. The next activity builds upon the previous auditory discrimination creation and requires students to apply the targeted short vowel sound to decode words. For example, students cut out figs labeled with short i words, and feed them to the paper bag iguana. Students read the words in pairs to practice oral decoding skills, while thinking about reading in a fun and creative way. Short vowel word lists for each vowel are included to expand decoding practice and differentiate for students who are ready for the challenge of initial and final blends. Blank figs are included so teachers can adapt the activity by writing in more difficult words in order to differentiate for more advanced learners.
3. Another activity included with each short vowel sound, requires students to decode words and match them to the correct picture. There are two options: students either cut and paste the word boxes next to the pictures, or they can write the words on the lines, using the word boxes as a word bank.
4. Each vowel also comes with an activity in which students draw lines to match words to pictures, phonetically spell words that correspond with two additional pictures, and illustrate a written word.
5. In the last activity included with each short vowel, students apply word decoding skills to sentence comprehension. Students read each sentence and choose the word that best completes the sentence. At the bottom of the page, students read a sentence and illustrate it.
In five sequential lessons, students begin with auditory discrimination and end with reading sentences! These activities were developed to build on each other or used as additional practice and reinforcement for students learning short vowel sounds. They can be used as centers or as group instruction. Additionally, the artistic products the students create engage their creativity and imaginations, while developing fine motor skills through cutting, gluing, drawing, coloring, and writing. Phonics Creations Activities incorporate visual arts and accommodate multiple learning styles. Word lists and blank activity pages are included for extension and/or differentiation for advanced learners. This set is geared for ages 4-8.
View You Tube video on how to create Phonics Creations.