Check out more of these activities at my Phonics Creations Activities Teachers Pay Teachers store. Check out this video on how to make these activities on youtube:
In the Phonics Creations Activities short a vowel set, the following five activities are included:
1. Introduction for short a begins with an auditory discrimination activity in which students sort pictures on planets that match the targeted vowel. Students say each picture, listening for the short a sound within each one. They will be able to use the beginning sound in the word astronaut as a reminder of the auditory short a sound. Students cut out planets containing only short a pictures and glue them in space with the astronaut.
2. The next activity builds upon the previous auditory discrimination creation and requires students to apply the targeted short vowel sound to decode words. Students cut out apples labeled with short a words, and feed them to the alligator. Both initial sounds in alligator and apples serve as reminders of the short a sound. Students read the words in pairs to practice oral decoding skills, encouraging students to interact with reading in a fun and creative way. A short a word list is included to expand decoding practice and differentiate for students who are ready for the challenge of initial and final blends. Blank apples are included so teachers can adapt the activity by writing in more difficult words in order to differentiate for more advanced learners.
3. Another activity included with the short a set, requires students to decode words and match them to the correct picture. There are two options: students either cut and paste the word boxes next to the pictures, or they can write the words on the lines, using the word boxes as a word bank.
4. The short a set also comes with an activity in which students draw lines to match words to pictures, phonetically spell words that correspond with two additional pictures, and illustrate a written word.
5. In the last activity included with the short a vowel, students apply word decoding skills to sentence comprehension. Students read each sentence and choose the word that best completes the sentence. At the bottom of the page, students read a sentence and illustrate it.
In five sequential lessons, students begin with auditory discrimination and end with reading sentences! These activities were developed to build on each other or used as additional practice and reinforcement for students learning the short a sound. They can be used as centers or as group instruction. Additionally, the artistic products the students create engage their creativity and imaginations, while developing fine motor skills through cutting, gluing, drawing, coloring, and writing. Phonics Creations Activities incorporate visual arts and accommodate multiple learning styles. A word list and blank activity page of apples are included for extension and/or differentiation for advanced learners. This set is geared for ages 4-8.