If you've been looking to explicitly teach phonics skills while incorporating them into your reading workshop, these lessons are for you!
This phonics curriculum is designed for students who are in grade 2 and up. It's intended to teach not only the phonetic sounds students need in order to read and comprehend, but it's also written in a way that teaches students to look for letter patterns in words as they read.
As with all my literacy work, the focus of each phonics lesson connects the phonics skill to comprehension.
The main reason we teach reading is so that students can comprehend and become lifelong readers who think critically and comprehend text.
These lessons will give you teacher language to tie the phonics skills directly into reading so that students can see the value in learning how recognizing phonics sounds, rules, and spelling patterns can add meaning and understanding to the texts that they read.
- CCSS and NEW TEKS standards attached to every lesson (grades 2-6)
- 12 mini-lessons with detailed teaching instructions for teaching about short vowel sounds and spelling patterns.
- Teacher pages of word lists for every lesson.
- 12 sample mini-lesson anchor charts (some of your anchor charts may look different based on the ideas your students share about short vowels, but you can use the same outline as provided).
- ‘I Can’ statement cards for each lesson. These are great to post in the room, at a literacy station, glued into readers’ notebooks, or posted at a small group table when re-teaching.
- Blank anchor chart pages for students. These can be glued into reader’s notebooks in a mini-lesson section. Students can complete them during the lesson and have a record of learning kept safely in their notebooks to reference anytime!
- 38 graphic organizers for independent activities that match each of the 12 mini-lessons. These can be used with any text students are reading and can be used over and over again. They are great for assessment!
- 3 Short comprehension quizzes on short vowels to administer after the 12 lessons are completed. Answer keys are provided!
- A certificate of mastery you can give students to build their confidence!
- 14 different styles of brag tags for rewarding students for all their hard work and learning.
- Short vowel overview
- VC (closed)
- CVC short vowel word patterns
- CCVC short vowel word patterns
- CVCC short vowel word patterns
- CCVCC short vowel word patterns
- CCCVC short vowel word patterns
- CCCVCC short vowel word patterns
- Short vowels at the beginning of a word
- Short vowels at the end of a word
- Y as a short vowel sound
- Short vowels review lesson
- You can teach these lessons inside a reading workshop or in a language block.
- Each lesson is designed to be taught by incorporating phonics into reading.
- ANY mentor texts you're using can be easily incorporated into each lesson.
- If you are in the middle of a unit but need to take a day to teach a phonics skill you notice students struggling with, go for it!
- Each lesson can be taught as a stand-alone lesson. You do NOT need to teach all 12 lessons in a row. Pull them when you need them!
- There is small group support inside each lesson as well.
- You can just teach these lessons in a small group to fit your students' needs.
- Assessments, note-taking pages, teacher language, independent practice pages...it's ALL there.
- These are designed with the SAME best practice framework as all my curricula.
- It will be a seamless transition to teach these skills since your students know the routines and expectations for workshops!
- Short Vowel Sounds and Spelling Patterns
- Long Vowel Sounds and Spelling Patterns
- Consonant Blends
Over the course of the next several months I'll be releasing units for teaching:
- Consonant Digraphs
- Silent Letters
- R-controlled Vowels
- Letters and Sounds
- Word Families
- Phonics and Comprehension
Copyright © 2019 Jen Bengel
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.