Phonics Focused Review Reading Passages | Comprehension | 1st Grade & 2nd Grade
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This bundle includes 75 phonics focused decodable REVIEW reading passages covering a variety of phonics patterns, most appropriate for students in Kindergarten-5th Grade. With 15 passages per grade level, these phonics based reading passages are great to use as a review of phonics concepts, while rePrice $28.00Original Price $35.00Save $7.00
This resource includes 15 phonics focused decodable REVIEW reading passages covering a variety of phonics patterns, most appropriate for end of 1st grade and beginning of second grade. These phonics based reading passages are great to use as a review of phonics concepts, while readers practice decoding words. Each phonics based reading passage includes specific focus words with different phonics patterns, as well as a follow up page with word work and comprehension questions. Aligned to the Science of Reading, students will focus on decoding words for the various phonics patterns.
Why do you need this resource?
- To review phonics pattens.
- To help students practice decoding words, in context.
- To help students identify words with specific phonics patterns.
- To help students read passages with specific phonics patterns.
- To help students respond to comprehension questions.
- To build readers' confidence.
There are 15 decodable phonics based reading passages, which include a random combination of phonics concepts.
- One full page of each passage.
- One full follow up page, for each passage, with phonics focused word work and 3 comprehension questions.
- Lists of specific phonics focused words for the word work portion of each passage.
Check out the preview to grab a free sample!
Phonics concepts included:
- short vowels (CVC)
- blends (beginning and ending blends)
- long vowels with silent e (CVCe)
- added or inflectional endings
- r controlled vowels
- double consonants
- long vowel combinations
- vowel teams
- soft c/g
- silent letters (kn, wr, gn)
How to use this resource:
- Students will read the passage, using their decoding skills.
- Students will circle words that fit the specific phonics patterns, listed as the focus.
- Students will write down multiple words that fit each specific phonics pattern.
- Students will respond, in complete sentences, to the comprehension questions.
Who are these passages written for?
- These passages are intended to be a review of phonics patterns. Students using these passages should have been previously introduced to all the phonics patterns listed above.
- These work well for: the end of 1st grade, for review.
- These reading passages also work well for 2nd graders, and 3rd graders, who continue to work on practicing decoding these phonics concepts.
- These can also be used in summer school, for review.
Who is this set of reading passages for?
- Classroom teachers
- Special education teachers with student decoding goals
- Reading specialists/interventionists/reading teachers
- Classroom aides/assistants
- Parent helpers
- ESL teachers
- For homework/extra practice
These phonics based decodable reading passages work great in small groups, whole group, one-on-one or sent home for extra help. If you have students who need to review decoding words with various phonics concepts, this is a great way to practice.
The goal of this resource is to assist readers in practicing their decoding abilities and build their confidence in reading words with specific phonics concepts.
I hope you and your students love these phonics based reading passages and activities!
Interested in more phonics passages?
Check out my money savings Phonics Focused Review Passages Bundle for Kindergarten-5th Grade!
Check out ALL my other Phonics Passages covering a variety of phonics concepts!