- This Phonics Card Game is ideal for practising er, ir, ur, ck, long oo and short oo words. This game has repeatedly proved itself to be a favourite of my reading groups. The students request it again and again. I like to play it as a warm up or cool down activity.
Print the cards, laminate them if possible and cut them out.
How to Play:
1. Two, three or four players sit so they are facing each other.
2. Select a dealer to shuffle the cards and give five cards to the members of the group, including themselves.
3. Place all the remaining cards in a pile face down in the centre. Next flip one card off the top of this pile and place it face up next to the stack.
4. The dealer reads the card by pronouncing the phonics sound of the red letter and then the word e.g. If the card is ‘boom’ the dealer says, ‘oo'like in boom’. If the card is ‘black’ the dealer says, ‘ck like in black’.
5. The children then look at their cards and take their turn moving to the left around the circle. If they have cards with the same sound as the one turned over by the dealer they can place one on top of the pile by saying ‘ur'like in 'turn’ or ‘er like in other’.
6. If they do not have a match in their hand they pick up a card from the face down pile. If the card they pick up is a match they can put it straight down, if not, they place it in their hand and the next player has a turn.
7. If the player does not have a match but has a CHANGEcard in their hand they can change the sound being matched i.e. if say they had the cards ‘her’, ‘fern’ and ‘after’ they would place down their CHANGE card and say “I’d like to change it to ‘er like in her’”. All the following players must match for ‘er’.
8. The person who is the first to have no cards left is the winner.
NB The power of this game as a learning tool comes from having the children say ‘er' like in 'her’ when playing the game.
Included in this Game:
ER - her, were, after, fern, other
UR - nurse, turn, Saturday, burn, fur
IR - first, girl, birthday, bird, sir
CK - back, track, black, snack, tackle
Long OO - moo, boo, soon, room, boom
Short OO - took, look, book, good, foot
& Eight 'CHANGE' Cards
If You Like the Look of This Game, CHECK OUT MY MEGA BUNDLE!
- The package includes ALL
my current Math and Literacy games PLUS
every resource I create for the next YEAR
You only have to use 7 of the games to get your money's worth :-)
To Read More - CLICK HERE