Nonsense Words Game
: CVC Change - This phonics card game is one of my all time favorite classroom games. Teachers like the high level of repetition and practice, students enjoy the game play and return to again and again. It will quickly become a favorite of your reading groups too. My students request to play this game again and again. I like to play it as a warm up or cool down activity. I have also sent it home with students to play as part of the home reading program.
Print the cards, laminate them and cut them out. Select around 40 CVC cards to form the playing deck.
How to Play
1. Two, three or four players sit so they are facing each other.
2. Select a dealer to shuffle the cards and give five cards to each member of the group, as well as themselves.
3. Place all the remaining cards in a pile face down in the center. Next flip one card off the top of this pile and place it face up next to the stack.
4. The dealer reads the card by pronouncing the sound of the letters marked in red and then the word e.g. If the card is 'glove' the dealer says, 'o like in zom'. If the card is ' zub ' the dealer says, 'u like in zub'.
5. The students then look at their cards and take their turn moving to the left around the circle. If they have cards with the same sound as the one turned over by the dealer they can place one on top of the pile by saying 'cl like in cross’ or ' o like in sog '.
6. If they do not have a match in their hand they pick up a card from the face down pile. If the card they pick up is a match they can put it straight down, if not, they place it in their hand and the next player has a turn.
7. If the player does not have a match but has a CHANGE card in their hand they can change the sound being matched i.e. if say they had the cards ' reg , ren & pem ' they would place down their CHANGE card and say "I'd like to change it to ' e like in rem". All the following players must match for 'e'.
8. The person who is the first to have no cards left is the winner.
NB The power of this game as a learning tool comes from having the children say 'o like in vot' when playing. Please ensure they keep doing it throughout the learning sessions.
Don't forget to check out my other CHANGE games as the cards are all the same size and style so you can mix and match to make multiple games to meet student needs.
CHECK OUT MY MEGA BUNDLE!
- The package includes ALL
the Math and Literacy games currently in my store PLUS
every resource I create for the next YEAR
It's like a great classroom resource that just keeps on giving. :-)
CLICK HERE to see the Mother Load :-)