- No Three in a Row is a phonics game for practicing the spelling and sound patterns - ack, ain, air, ain & ame, ank, ale & ail, ash, aw, ear or & oar... in them. Perfect for Literacy Center differentiation.
What You Need
1 Sound Focus Game Board
15 Counters of one color
15 Counters of another color
How to Play
1. Player One is the person with the shortest hair.
2. Player One chooses a word, states it clearly to Player Two and places one of their counters on it.
3. Player Two then chooses a word, states it clearly to Player One and places one of their counters on it.
4. Play continues in this turn about fashion until a player is forced to lay a counter which makes a ROW OF THREE either vertically, horizontally or diagonally.
How to Win
Be the person who DOES NOT place 3 counters in a row either vertically, horizontally or diagonally.
Before, During and After the Game
- Teacher and students Role Play the meaning of words and really HAM IT UP!!!
- Teacher makes an effort to use words from the game in every day conversation. Then make a big deal of it. 'Eric, would you stop impaling that eraser! Did you see what I did there? I used a word from the game in a real context. Gee I'm a great teacher!' - Make sure you get the tone of voice right hehehe
- Pick 3 random words from the game and have the students make up a 'silly sentence' with a partner e.g. The captain complained to the rain. Can be a great poetry starter.
- Did I mention really have fun role playing the words. Show me bashful. Show me your biggest yawn. Use your imagination on this one and the students will remember the vocab.
- Display the PowerPoint version of the game boards and do oral cloze activites. With partners the students orally fill in the blanks of the sentences the teacher starts. e.g. It is dark. I need a (blank) to see. I need a knife and (blank)
- have students make up oral cloze for their partners to solve.
Words Listed on each Board
- attack, back, black, crack, flack, hack, hijack, jackal, lack, rack, stack, tack, quack, snack, track, clack, pack, shack, sack, Jack, , knack, slack, whack, smack, racket, Mack, jackpot
- again, brain, captain, chain, certain, complain, contain, curtain, drain, explain, faint, gain, grain, main, obtain, pain, paint, plain, quaint, rain, remain, saint, stain, Spain sprain, strain, train,
- airline, repair, flair, eclair, hairy, lair, prairie, chair, midair, unfair, pair, dairy, hair, chair, affair, airbag, airy, pair, impair, flair, fair, repair, stairs, hair, airport, airtight, aircraft, armchair, air
- ame & ain - game, same, came, shame, flame, dame, blame, lame, fame, name, frame, tame, became, same untame, brain, drain, main, pain, rain, chain, stain, sprain, grain, vain, splash, train, strain, again
- ank - ankle, anklet, bank, blank, clank, crank, cranky, drank, dank, flank, frank, Frank, Hank, hanky, lanky, sank, spank, shrank, shank, stank, swank ,thank, outrank, prank, plank, rank, tank, yank,
- ail - bail, hail, nail, frail, fail, jail, mail, nail, quail, rail, sail, snail, tail, trail, wail, ale - ale, bale, gale, hale, inhale, impale, kale, make, pale, sale, scale, shale, stale, tale, whale,
- ash, ashes, bash, bashful, brash, cash, crash, clash, dash flash, fashion, gash, gnash, goulash, lash, mash, rash, rasher, sash, splash, slash, stash, squash, smash, trash, thrash, wash,
- yawn, awful, jaw, dawn, fawn, claw, draw, bawl, flaw, brawl, drawn, gnaw, raw, saw, law, sprawl, squark, thaw, pawn, jigsaw, scrawl, crawl, straw, prawn, awe, shawl, paw, spawn, hawk, lawn
- search, swear, earn, yearn, learn, wear, pear, learn, heart, nearly spear, rear, tear, near, year, smear, gear, fear, earn, ear, dear, shear, weary, early, sear, clear, bear, hear, beard
- torch, storm, short, order, fork, forget, born, boards, horse, adore, actor, acorn, absorb, storm, board, hoarder, aboard, soar, roar, keyboard, boar, coarse, boars, afford, hoard, uproar, surfboard, hoarse, forty, oar.
Included in this Download
10 Full Color Boards
1 PowerPoint File Containing all Boards
CHECK OUT MY MEGA BUNDLE!
- The package includes ALL
the Math and Literacy games currently in my store PLUS
every resource I create for the next YEAR
It's like a great classroom resource that just keeps on giving. :-)
CLICK HERE to see the Mother Load :-)