Also included in
- Everything you need for fun and engaging phonics activities in one MEGA Bundle! This bundle of phonics worksheets and phonics activities is filled with everything you need to engage your students in fun phonics practice all year long. Your students will love the fun phonics games and activities and$94.50$189.00Save $94.50
- There's nothing like a fun game to engage your students in learning. These Phonics Cootie Catchers and Phonics Fortune Tellers are a great way to get your students reviewing important phonics skills. Not only do kids love creating these hand-held games, but these folded paper activities will have th$25.20$36.00Save $10.80
Help your students master important phonics sounds while having fun reading and spelling words with these Phonics Cootie Catchers & Fortune Tellers. Combining fun and phonics games with practice and learning is a win-win situation. That’s why I love to use phonics cootie catchers, sometimes called chatterboxes or fortune tellers, in my classroom. These folded papers are a favorite with kids—and a great way to practice a number of skills, including blending and segmenting sounds.
See these phonics games in action by watching the video preview above!
This set of phonics sound fortune tellers includes 29 different games covering words with 38 different spelling patterns. Your students will LOVE working on their phonics skills with these fun phonics fortune tellers!
Phonics Cootie Catchers & Fortune Tellers includes:
- Cootie Catchers for 7 sets of words and sounds (includes black & white and color options)
- Total of 29 Ready to Use Cootie Catchers
- Word Overview Sheet (1, 2, and 3 syllable words included for easy differentiation)
- Instructions for Assembly
- Instructions for Use
The sounds highlighted in this pack include:
- Set 1: Sound b/oo/k, Spellings: oo, u, oul
- Set 2: Sound /u/, Spellings: u, o, ou, oo
- Set 3: Sound /s/, Spellings: s, ss, st, c, ce, se, sc
- Set 4: Sound /l/, Spellings: l, ll, al, el, il, le, ol
- Set 5: Sound /or/, Spellings: or, aw, a, ar, au, al
- Set 6: Sound /air/, Spellings: air, are, ear, ere, eir, ayer, ayor
- Set 7: Sound /ue/, Spellings: ue, ew, u, u-e
Use Long Vowel Cootie Catchers for:
- Independent practice in class - Follow the same steps shown in the video above, but the student makes their own choices, works the cootie catcher, and writes down their results.
- Small group work - Students can work around the group, with one student working the cootie catcher and others taking turns making choices and recording words. Students can pass the cootie catcher around and continue taking turns.
- Literacy station or Literacy Center - Once students know how to use cootie catchers, you can use them at a literacy station as individual or partner work. Students often think of cootie catchers as games not work, so they can make a good “choice” activity.
- Home practice and consolidation - Give students a cootie catcher and a worksheet set up with spaces to record their answers for home practice and consolidation of skills.
What Teachers Have Said:
- “LOVE LOVE LOVE these! What kids don't love a cootie! My kids are wanting to play with their words all the time!”
- “These have made learning and reviewing sounds fun for the students.”
- “Super cute and my students are loving using them. Very creative idea.”
- “This is an awesome product! The directions are very clear and I think my students will love being able to "play" during phonics. :) Thank you!”
- “My students love these and they don't even know they are practicing spelling.”
Please view and download the preview above for a detailed view of the phonics cootie catchers.
If you’re after more great lesson ideas, then check out these items:
- Phonics Cootie Catchers: Set A
- Spin, Read, Write: Set C
- Ultimate Digraph Teaching Kit
- Phonics Matching Games
- Phonics Games – CVC Words
Remember, leaving feedback earns you points toward FREE TPT purchases.