Phonics Passages Bundle - LEXILE Leveled - Science of Reading
What educators are saying
Products in this Bundle (10)
showing 1-5 of 10 products
If you've been looking for a way your students can practice phonics skills while reading independently, these passages are for you!
Let's face it, there are many students in upper grades who still need direct instruction and practice on key phonics skills. These passages allow for that practice all while practicing reading fluency and comprehension.
These passages will give your students a chance to identify phonics skills as they read and enjoy high-interest passages with custom illustrations from Malaya Bengel Art.
Included in EACH Phonics Set:
- 8-10 phonics passages for practicing that specific skill.
- 82 total phonics passages when the bundle is complete!
- A/B multiple-choice questioning.
- Open-ended evidence-based question.
- Challenge activity to find evidence in the text.
- Custom Illustrations from Malaya Bengel Art.
- Digital Google Classroom Option
- Professionally Leveled: Lexile, Fountas and Pinnell, Accelerated Reader, DRA, and Grade Level Equivalent levels all included!
EVERYTHING IS ON ONE PAGE!
- The research collected from The Science of Reading has led to a unanimous conclusion that in order for students to learn to read successfully, they require explicit, systematic and cumulative phonics instruction. Based on the science, 3 elements needed for phonics instruction are: a hands-on approach, moving from presentation to practice, and showing direct application to reading and spelling.
- The Phonics Passages are designed to specifically target the last 2 needed elements, according to The Science of Reading. Each passage offers a direct move from presentation to phonics practice.
- Even more exciting, the phonics skills are directly implemented within the context of a reading passage, allowing students to move from learning phonics skills in word isolation, to applying the skills inside the context of a larger passage to understand meaning and comprehension.
- The Phonics Passages are a tremendous help in transitioning young readers from practicing phonics skills in a hands-on, manipulative way, to practicing using their newly acquired phonics skills directly into the context of a reading passage so that they can read words with automaticity and ease, focusing all their mental efforts on the main reason for reading, to comprehend and understand.
- It is recommended to keep in mind the specific needs of your students and use your own professionally autonomy, benchmark assessments, and informal assessments when necessary to adjust the order of instruction. With that said, The Science of Reading recommends this general scope and sequence for teaching phonics skills:
- Short Vowel Sounds
- Long Vowels
- Consonant Digraphs
- Consonant Blends
- Consonant Patterns
- Letters and Sounds
- Silent Letters
- Phonics and Comprehension
- R-Controlled Vowels
Ideas for Use:
- As mentor texts during a whole group lesson on phonics.
- In a small guided reading group.
- In a grammar or word work center.
- As independent practice after a phonics lesson.
- As a homework review.
- Practice for taking standardized tests.
USE WITH PHONICS CURRICULUM
These passages can be used in correlation with the Phonics Curriculum!
Each passage includes beautiful custom artwork, created exclusively for Out of This World Literacy by Malaya Bengel Art.
Copyright © 2020 Jen Bengel
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.
You can find this resource inside the membership by CLICKING HERE
Interested in becoming a member? LEARN MORE HERE