This mini unit is centered around a phonics poem that you can read daily with your class. This will help build their fluency. My students love reading this poem because it gives them a chance to have fun while learning digraphs.
Talk with your students about water safety and the need for water after reading the poem.
Practice finding and writing words with digraphs as a class. Students can also complete one of the two phonics worksheets included.
I made these integrated phonics and science units to maximise instructional time. I hope that you love them as much as I do!
- Lesson plans
- 2 phonics poems (one with a science tie in)
- 2 student versions of the phonics poems with a space to illustrate the poems
- 2 phonics worksheets
Want more mini units?
I am working on creating a full year of integrated science and phonics units for first grade. Each week will cover a different phonics sound. Some of the science standards will be covered over multiple weeks, but most will be covered in one week. I have alighned the units to cover my districts science and phonics pacing guides.
Week 1: Five Senses and Short A
Week 2: Sorting Objects by Properties and Short E
Week 3: Sorting Objects by Properties and Short I
Week 4: Magnifiers and Short O
Week 5 Poem: Night Sky and Short U (Free Preview)
Week 5: Night Sky and Short U (Full version of the free product)
6. (l-blends bl, cl, fl) Jobs of te Sun
7. (l-blends) Be Safe in the Sun
8. (r-blends) Law of Gravity
9. (r-blends) Nonfiction bats book
10. (s-blends) Properties of materials (sort by observable properties - color, shape, size, weight, texture, material)
11. (s-blends) Properties of materials (sort by observable properties - material: wood, glass, metal, and rubber)
12. (digraphs) Water safety (this mini-unit)
13. (3 letter blends) Water Safety - life jackets
14. (CVCa) Earth's Surface (Everything on Earth belongs to one of four spheres. Earth's spheres are land, water, living things, and air.)
15. (CVCi) Earth's Surface - (label for each kind of source material: plant, trees, animal, metal, or sand)
16. (CVCo) Fast and Slow Changes to the Earth's Surface (hurricanes, erosion: dirt track) - use time lapse videos
17. (CVCu) Fast and Slow Changes to the Earth's Surface
18. (Double Consonants - substituted skill) Fast and Slow Changes to the Earth's Surface
19. (-ck) Living and Non-living Things
20. (ch & sh) Observe living things
21. (th & wh) Needs of living things (eat, water, ...
22. (ai & ay) needs of living things
23. (oa, ow, oe) Parts of a plant (grow a plant)
24. (ee & ea) parts of a plant (track growth)
25. (long i: ie, igh, iCC) Match Parents with Offspring (plants and animals)
26. (y as a vowel) Match Parents with Offspring (plants and animals)
27. (ar) Growing Sunflower Sprouts
28. (ir, er, ur) Parts of a Plant / plants and animals resemble their parents
29. (or, ore, oar, oor) Parts of a Plant / plants and animals resemble their parents
30. (eer, ear) Parts of a Plant / plants and animals resemble their parents
31. (air, are, ear) How Things Move (things move with a push or a pull: fast or slow, back and forth, round and round, slide, pull, zip-zag, push) - mini lesson: act out the different ways
32. (oo, ew, ue) How Things Move
33. (ou, aw, al, ough) How Things Move
34. (oo, oul, ucc) Forces - push/ pull
35. (ou & ow) Forces - push/ pull
36. (oi & oy) Forces - push/ pull