Phonics Pops are great for small group/guided reading activities! Just print, cut, and attach to a popsicle stick to have a set of 6 or more Phonics Pops for your students to use.
Students can use Phonics Pops in two ways:
Single Phonics Pop Practice – Each student will get a Phonics Pop for the sound you are working on. Students can hold the Phonics Pop up to their mouths and practice reading words with that sound. Another option is to give each student a Phonics Pop for the sound you are working on and have them raise it up when they hear a word with that sound.
Two or More Phonics Pops Practice – Each student will get 2 or more Phonics Pops. Have them place them flat on the table. Read a list of words with the sounds you are working on. Have students hold up the Phonics Pop that matches the sound in the word you read.
You can find the following sounds in the Phonics Pop Packet:
- Short Vowels (a, e, i, o, u)
- All Consonants
- Digraphs (ch, sh, th, wh, -ck, qu)
- tch, dge, ph
- Double Consonant Bonus Letters (ff, ll, ss, zz)
- ng endings (ing, ang, ong, ung)
- nk endings (ink, ank, onk, unk)
- All Beginning L, R, and S Blends (plus thr, dw, sw, tw)
- Ending Blends (-lf, -lk, -lt, -nt, -pt, -st, -xt, -mp, -nd, -sk)
- Magie e (a_e, e_e, i_e, o_e, u_e)
- y as i, y as e, igh
- Vowel Teams (ai, ea, oa, -ay, ee, -oe)
- Bossy R (er, ir, ur, ar, or)
- Soft c and Soft g
- Diphthongs (ou, ow, oi, oy, au, aw, oo, ew)