Phonics Screener and Decoding Assessments Based on the Science of Reading
What educators are saying
Do you struggle grouping kids for intervention in phonics and reading? For me, the hardest part of switching to a Science of Reading based reading instruction was relearning reading groups. These phonics screeners and decoding assessments are a quick and accurate way to group kids for phonics intervention groups.
WHAT ARE DECODABLE PHONICS SCREENERS?
This decodable phonics screener is a quick and easy way to find the decoding gaps your K-2 students have and use that data to place them in intervention reading groups for decoding.
There are 3 phonics screeners in this resource:
- – VC and CVC words to identify difficulties with blending certain letter sounds
- – identifies decoding gaps from CVC to diphthongs and silent letters
- – identifies gaps in advanced phonics skills, affixes, and common Greek & Latin roots
Each screener has a student page and a teacher page. Copy the student page on colored paper or cardstock and laminate. Use a teacher page for each student to record their decoding assessment data. You can use the same page all year long by using a different color pen each time you assess and dating your data.
None of the student pages mention grade levels so these can be used with older kids who are struggling as well.
These screeners match my sets of decodable readers and decoding passages. Shop all of those .
INCLUDED IN THIS DECODABLE PHONICS SCREENER AND ASSESSMENTS
- Kindergarten decodable phonics screener
- 1st grade decodable phonics screener
- 2nd grade decodable phonics screener
- Each screener includes a student page and a teacher recording page
- Phonics pacing guide for Kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade
- Data binder cover sheet and spine label (watch the video preview to see what my decoding assessment binder looks like)
Reading Groups Assessment Teacher Binder
Copyright Whitney Shaddock, 2022, licensed for one classroom use only. Please use the multiple licensing option for more than one classroom use!