This particular printable focuses on a phonics concept--Magic 'e' or split digraph. Students will choose a cupcake with a word that has a short vowel sound (CVC). They will then add a ‘magic e” at the end of the word, turn the short vowel into a long vowel sound, and find the word on the icing (CVCe).
The word cap is on the cupcake, add an 'e' at the end, and then look for the word cape on the icing.
--a list of words
Suggestions, tips, and differentiation:
* Sort the words that have the same vowel sound.
* See how many rhyming words you can find.
* Put in ABC order; either the cupcakes or the icing.
* Practice phoneme segmentation with the cupcakes.
* Small group or at a literacy center.
* Whole group using a pocket chart.
* Partner game: each student draws a certain number of icings; they then take turns drawing finding the right cupcake to put the icing on. If they are right, it stays, If wrong, they loose a turn. The first one to get rid of all their icings wins.
* A label is provided to turn the printable into a file folder game if desired.
Put a matching sticker on the backs of the pieces that go together. When the child is finished, have them turn over the cards to see if the stickers match.
Become a Follower
Be the first to know about store sales and new products by clicking the green "Follow Me" star on this page under the store name. Another way is to click the green star on the home page of Creations by Mrs Mouse.
Thank you most sweetly!!
Creations by Mrs Mouse