This YellowBeeLearning smart notebook lesson is a teaching tool designed to cover all four aspects of a phonics lesson – Revise, Teach, Practise and Apply. It includes fun, interactive activities to make the lesson more interesting and engage the children in your class.
This lesson is for the vowel digraph ‘igh’ (long i phoneme), which in the UK Letters and Sounds programme comes in Phase 3, Set 9.
The activities in this lesson are:
- Flash Cards – click on the top card to make it zoom off the screen and reveal the next card. These cards cover the phase 3 phonemes learned so far.
- Alphabet Song – sing the alphabet song while pointing to each grapheme in turn so the children learn the letter names.
– Teach the igh phoneme using the Jolly phonics story, action and song
- Teach writing the igh grapheme – the teacher demonstrates on the board as the children copy on their Student Boards, first within the outlines and then copied underneath.
– What’s in the Box? – The teacher reveals one phoneme at a time for the children to sound out and blend the ‘igh’ words, then clicks on the gift-wrapped box to make it fade away, revealing the matching picture.
-Balloon Pop – Click on each of the balloons to make them burst and reveal an ‘igh’ word. Children find the word on their Student Board and put a circle around the ‘igh’ grapheme in the word.
– Yes or No – The children read the question to their partner and then show if they think the answer is ‘yes’ or ‘no’ by putting their thumbs up or down and by circling the correct answer on their student board.
There is a student board to go with the lesson which can be printed onto paper for the children to complete with pencil during the activities (attaching it to a clipboard helps!) or it can be printed onto card and laminated or put in a wipe clean pocket for the children to complete with a dry-wipe marker.
The Teach section of the lesson is designed to go with the Jolly Phonics teaching scheme and assumes you already have the resources that come with the scheme (the story, action and song), but this page can easily be altered to fit in with whichever phonics scheme you follow in your school.
There will be more lessons to follow in my TpT store shortly and a bundle available so that you can buy a pack with all smart notebook lessons and student boards for a week of teaching along with a plan for the week, detailing all the activities, and a matching homework sheet.
Thank you for viewing my product today - I hope you find it is what you are looking for,