This YellowBeeLearning smart notebook lesson is a teaching tool designed to cover all four aspects of a phonics lesson – Revise, Teach, Practise and Apply. It includes fun, interactive activities to make the lesson more interesting and engage the children in your class.
This lesson is for the vowel digraph ‘oa’ (long o phoneme), which in the UK Letters and Sounds programme comes in Phase 3, Set 9.
The activities in this lesson are:
- Phoneme Reveal board – click on each square in the board to reveal a hidden phoneme for the children to read.
- Alphabet Song – sing the alphabet song while pointing to each grapheme in turn so the children learn the letter names.
– Teach the oa phoneme using the Jolly phonics story, action and song
- Teach writing the oa grapheme – the teacher demonstrates on the board as the children copy on their Student Boards, first within the outlines and then copied underneath.
– Find the Phoneme – Children find the words with oa in on the board and drag a red circle around the oa grapheme in each. The children have pictures to match each word on their student boards and they can circle the pictures that match the ‘oa’ words.
– Countdown game – try to read the words before the timer runs out. (coat, load, goat, loaf, road, soap, oak, toad, foal, boatman)
– Look-Cover-Write – children read a caption, the teacher hides it and the children write it on their Student Boards.
There are differentiated student boards to go with the lesson which can be printed onto paper for the children to complete with pencil during the activities (attaching it to a clipboard helps!) or it can be printed onto card and laminated or put in a wipe clean pocket for the children to complete with a dry-wipe marker.
The Teach section of the lesson is designed to go with the Jolly Phonics teaching scheme and assumes you already have the resources that come with the scheme (the story, action and song), but this page can easily be altered to fit in with whichever phonics scheme you follow in your school.
There will be more lessons to follow in my TpT store shortly and a bundle available so that you can buy a pack with all smart notebook lessons and student boards for a week of teaching along with a plan for the week, detailing all the activities, and a matching homework sheet.
Thank you for viewing my product today - I hope you find it is what you are looking for,