Do you have struggling readers in grades 3-12? Do you have little to no time to teach and prepare?
PSRS is not a complete reading program. It is a fast-paced, word-attack skills program. If students are misreading even one word, comprehension suffers. Examples: The man paid the bond to get out of jail. The man paid the blond to get out of jail.
It is not rocket science, of course, but if your students cannot read with accuracy, they will never have a chance to be rocket scientists. PSRS quickly helps to build two essential skills that are essential for successful comprehension, even for those students who think they are bad readers. These essential skills are accurate reading and increased vocabulary knowledge.
If you are a teacher trying your best but your students cannot read with accuracy, you are wasting precious time and effort. However, after about 15 instructional hours of PSRS, you will find your students doing better all of their subjects. Once students are decoding with accuracy and not guessing and they either know the vocabulary used or have the skills to "look up" meanings, students will have the skills to read to learn and acquire more background knowledge. PSRS is easy to teach; easy to learn.
1. PSRS takes about 12-15 hours of instruction for English speakers above age 9 and particularly good for older struggling readers.
2. Younger students and English language learners take longer, for obvious reasons.
3. No daily preparation needed.
4. Teachers simply read where indicated; students read where indicated.
5. Helps to correct dyslexia symptoms, guessing, and misreading.
6. Teaches students how to analyze words for correct spelling.
7. Immediate success on each page.
8. Can be used as supplement with other reading programs.
9. Developed based on real struggling students in classroom.
10. Highly effective when taught by trained educator but also very effective for parents, grandparents and even students in peer instruction.