This printable reinforces the phonological skills of word families using the theme of Popsicle. Word families have the same endings that rhyme but with a different onset or beginning sound. Student will match the pictures on the three sections of the Popsicle with the correct Popsicle stick that has the word family written on it.
These three words, hat, cat, and bat all belong to the -at family. They will all go on the -at Popsicle stick.
--1 Popsicle mat
--12 sets of Popsicle with rhyming pictures
--12 sets of Popsicle with words
--12 sets of Popsicle with both words and pictures
--tin label and cover with directions
Suggestions, tips, and differentiation:
* Differentiate by using the picture Popsicle, picture and word Popsicle, or just the words on the Popsicle.
* A concentration game can be played by using the mat. Each child can decide on the two word families they want to find. Each child takes a turn flipping over a part of the Popsicle. If it goes with their family, they put it on the mat. If it does not, then they put it back. Whoever fills all three parts of the Popsicle with the right word family wins.
* Cards can be used either with Velcro, magnet, or just the way they are. If you use a magnet, use a cookie sheet for the mat. If you use Velcro, then use a file folder as the mat. Just plain, they can be used anywhere.
* Pieces can be stored in an envelope, baggie, or an Altoid tin can be used. Label for tin and directions are provided
* Put in ABC order.
* Practice phoneme segmentation.
* Small group or at a literacy center.
* Whole group using a pocket chart.
Put a matching sticker on the backs of the pieces that go together. When the child is finished, have them turn over the cards to see if the stickers match.
Become a Follower
Be the first to know about store sales and new products by clicking the green "Follow Me" star on this page under the store name. Another way is to click the green star on the home page of Creations by Mrs Mouse.
Thank you most sweetly!!
Creations by Mrs Mouse