3 Worksheet Packs (totalling 41 worksheets) supporting the following R Controlled Vowels:
- /ar/ – includes the ‘ar’ spelling choice.
- /er/ – includes: ‘er’, ‘ir’, ‘ur’, ‘or’ and ‘ear’ spelling choices.
- /or/ – includes: ‘or’ and ‘ore’ spelling choices.
Activities provided in the pack include:
- Compare and Contrast – find the words in which you see ‘r’ following ‘a’.
- Sound Substitution – rewrite words with a controlling ‘r’ after the vowel.
- Rhyming – e.g. car/bar. Students listen for rhyming words or draw lines between rhyming words drawn from two columns. Students can also try to create rhyming couplets e.g. “I know that I could not go far unless I had a bike or car”.
- Oral Phoneme Manipulation – substitution, addition, deletion e.g. bar-barn-bark.
- Word Sorts – for example, words with/without R Controlled Vowels, words with a specific R Controlled Vowel representation.
- Picture – Word Match
- Word Completion – with one or more sounds missing.
- Sound Button Spelling – writing of words with teacher-provided dots indicating number of sounds or dashes indicating number of graphemes (copying first, then from memory).
- Independent Spelling words from pictures
- Word Searches
- Picture – Sentence Match
- Scrambled Sentences – provide the words that make up a sentence for the students to arrange correctly. This makes them really look at the words!
Alongside this, read our blog post on how to teach these R Controlled Vowel sounds: https://www.phonicshero.com/r-controlled-vowels/.