Phonics games for kindergarten, early years settings and home schooling are great ways to engage children as learning is fun because they are playing. The school and home learning activities suggested in this resource will provide children with phonics games in which they can practise what they are learning either in child initiated play or as an adult directed task where you are teaching phonics in a fun way. The resources are for phonics games for phase 2 of letters and sounds, which is a systematic approach to teaching phonics used widely in early years in U.K. - even if you are working with a different scheme these resources will be very helpful.
The resource includes :
- coins with real words for s a t p i n m d g o c k ck e u r h b f ff l ll ss
- coins with alien/ monster/ nonsense/ made up words
- coins with high frequency words
- instructions how to play games which will engage most children
- ideas for teaching phonics plus how to promote reading and writing in child initiated learning
- common problems with phonics and how to help such as similar looking letters, tricky words, guessing part of the word
The coins can be printed, laminated and cut up to use as individual treasure items to be used in these fun phonic games.
You can use them to teach, assess or for your child(ren) to play with independently.
The alien/ made up words are a great way to see whether children can decode the letters accurately without knowing what they are meant to say - a good way to get them ready for the end of Year 1 phonics screening tests in U.K.
These resources are suitable for printing in U.S. and U.K.