Phonological awareness is the ability to hear sounds that make up words in spoken language. Phonemic awareness is one aspect of phonological awareness and refers to the specific ability to focus on and manipulate individual sounds (phonemes) in spoken words. Students at risk for reading difficulty often have lower levels of phonological awareness and phonemic awareness than do their classmates. The good news is that phonemic awareness and phonological awareness can be taught and developed through a number of activities.
My phonological awareness packs cover 8 essential phonological and phonemic awareness skills needed for reading. We start with the foundational understanding that sentences are made up of words. We then look at words more closely with rhyming and syllable activities. Phonemic awareness skills are developed through activities in beginning, ending and middle sound games. We start putting these basic skills together with segmenting and blending activities and even phoneme substitution.
These skills range from simple to fairly advanced. You can use this pack with a variety of ages and ability levels. Word awareness typically develops in preschoolers and the ability to substitute phonemes may develop as late as 2nd or 3rd grade.This set is ideal for a PreK-K Montessori class but can be adapted for most early childhood and K-2 classrooms. It will also be useful for RTI, SLP and Special Ed teachers.
(Please note: this is a big zipped file and may take a while to download)
The preview shows a mix of instruction pages from the different packs. You can see more details about the contents on their individual product pages:
1. On the Farm Phonological Awareness Activities
2. Pumpkin Patch Phonological Awareness
3. Holiday Treats Phonological Awareness Activities Pack
4. The Mitten- Phonological Awareness Activities
5. Old Lady Swallowed a Rose- Phonological Awareness for February
6. St. Patrick’s Day Phonological Awareness For March
7. In the Garden- Phonological Awareness for Spring
8. All About Fall Phonological Awareness
9. Thanksgiving Phonological Awareness
10. Bugs Phonological Awareness