This is a FREE phonological awareness assessment. Use this assessment to determine what phonological awareness skills that you need to teach your students. You can then purchase the specific phonological awareness kits that you need. (A list of the kits is found below.)
Phonological awareness and phonemic awareness are vital skills for children learning to read. Research shows that good readers have these skills and poor readers lack them. Our program teaches foundational phonological awareness skills in a fun, engaging way appropriate for children from 3-6 years old. Our easy to use lesson plans teach common core standards using original music and games.
Our year-long program begins at a foundational level. Throughout the curriculum, children are learning to blend and segment increasingly smaller groups of sounds. With all of the practice in working with groups of sounds, learning to blend and segment individual phonemes in words will be a manageable next step.
Our level one program is broken up into 6 skills. Each kit teaches one skill. We offer a free comprehensive assessment so that you can see which skills your children need to work on. Typically, younger children (ages 3-4) will need to start at the beginning. Older children (kindergarten) might be able to skip the first few skills.
In addition to the comprehensive assessment, the kits include ongoing assessments so you can move through the curriculum as quickly or slowly as your students need.
The six individual kits are:
1. Listening Skills—hearing and categorizing common sounds around them, listening and responding to instructions, etc.
2. Order of Sounds—learning to recognize the order of sounds using common environmental sounds.
3. Words and Sentences—learning to take apart and blend together words in sentences.
4. Rhyming- learning to recognize and make rhymes.
5. Syllables- practicing blending syllables into words and taking words apart into syllables.
6. Onset and Rime- Learning to blend and take apart individual syllables into onset and rime.
Our Phonological Awareness Kits are a complete full year curriculum. They teach all of the phonological awareness skills using music and games. They are easy to use with minimal preparation. The original songs are fun and catchy. They are the foundation for learning. The games help children practice the skills in a fun, non-threatening way. The songs and games are engaging to children and can be used over and over until the children master the skill. Our ongoing assessments make it easy for you to guide the progression of your student.