In this assignment, students bring an old photo or image alive by adding color to it. Students begin by searching the internet for a Black and White image that they would like to use. They copy the image into Photoshop and begin selecting areas of the image and colorizing them using Curves Adjustment Layers. Students are amazed that they can take a drab, aged image and breathe life and color into it.
Save over 40%
This product is also included in my bundle:Photoshop CS6 Bundle - 10 Complete Lessons for Beginners
This lesson can be used in other versions of Photoshop and is a beginner to an intermediate level project. I usually give this assignment within the first month of the course, after having covered the selection tools such as the Polygon Lasso Tool and Smart Selection Tool. Specifically, students should be comfortable with adding to or taking away from selections.
Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments regarding this assignment! I hope that you find it useful and I look forward to hearing from you.
Included in this package:
- a .pdf instruction file
- a completed answer example file (.psd)
- the black and white image file used to complete this assignment
- Take the time to do one yourself prior to presenting to the students so you are familiar with the steps.
- I recommend you demo searching for an image, copying it into Photoshop and colorizing one piece of the image (10-15 minutes teaching time). After that, students can be given the instructions and off they go!
- It would be helpful for you to review what Adjustment Layers are.
- If you have time, show off students work when they are done, this is motivating for them.
Others you might like:
Photoshop CS6 Tutorial - Creating a Retro Polaroid Collage
Photoshop CS6 Tutorial - Turning a photograph into a 3D oil painting
Photoshop CS6 Tutorial - Creating a Cool Text Graphic Image using Clipping Masks