Students are engaged in this eye-catching assignment for a couple of reasons. First, almost everyone loves and listens to music. Also, they enjoy the blending of the background texture with the images of musicians they love. Though I used Musicians in this activity, it could easily be amended to suit the interest of individual students. Instead of musicians, they could choose actors, athletes or historical figures.
Save over 40%
This product is also included in my bundle:Photoshop CS6 Bundle - 10 Complete Lessons for Beginners
Before giving students this beginner appropriate assignment, students should have an idea how to use basic selection tools such as the Polygon Lasso Tool or Magic Wand Tool. In addition to the Selection Tools, students will learn:
- how to use layer Blending Modes. (This allows you to hint at textures underneath images)
- how to use Filters from the Filter Gallery. (In this activity, I used the Watercolor Filter to make the images look somewhat hand painted)
- adding Levels Adjustment layers to improve the general appearance of the musician images.
- applying a Hue and Saturation adjustment layer to create a general color cast on the entire collage.
This lesson was created in Photoshop CS6 and can be adapted to other versions of Photoshop.
Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments regarding this assignment! I hope that you find it useful and I look forward to hearing from you.
Included in this package:
- a .pdf instruction file
- a student answer Photoshop file that contains the background image.
- A completed answer file.
- The musician images I used (all were non-copyrighted images according to my google search).
- Take the time to do one yourself prior to presenting to the students so you are familiar with the steps.
- I recommend you demo cutting out a musician, adding a Levels adjustment, and applying the Watercolor filter.
- If you have time, show off students work when they are done, this is motivating for them.
Others you might like:
Photoshop CS6 Tutorial - Creating a Retro Polaroid Collage
Photoshop CS6 Tutorial - Turning a photograph into a 3D oil painting
Photoshop CS6 Tutorial - Creating a Cool Text Graphic Image using Clipping Masks