This fun, engaging activity will allow beginners to quickly build an interesting optical illusion. Using a few image sources, students will cobble together a photo mosaic face portrait. When looked at from a distance, the picture will look like the larger image of the persons head. Upon closer inspection, smaller details (pictures of the same person or people connected to that person) become more apparent.
Save over 40%
This product is also included in my bundle:Photoshop CS6 Bundle - 10 Complete Lessons for Beginners
Before giving students this assignment, it would be helpful for students to have an idea how to use basic selection tools such as the Polygon Lasso Tool or Magic Wand Tool. In addition to the Selection Tools, students will learn:
- how to use layer Blending Modes. (This allows you to hint at textures underneath images)
- Using Layer Styles to enhance the look of an image. (Specifically, we use the Bevel and Emboss style to make the base image stand out)
- Creating custom, reusable patterns. In this case, we build a pattern of mini images and later use this pattern to fill the larger head.
This lesson was created in Photoshop CS6 and can be adapted to other versions of Photoshop.
Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments regarding this assignment! I hope that you find it useful and I look forward to hearing from you.
Included in this package:
- a .pdf instruction file
- A completed answer file.
- All images and texture images used in the completion of my example answer (all were non copyrighted images according to my google search).
- Take the time to do one yourself prior to presenting to the students so you are familiar with the steps.
- You will probably have time to demonstrate this example completely in 15-25 minutes.
- You may want to plan on having the students do a second one depending on how much time you want to devote to this activity.
- If you have time, show off students work when they are done, this is motivating for them.
Others you might like:
Photoshop CS6 Tutorial - Creating a Retro Polaroid Collage
Photoshop CS6 Tutorial - Turning a photograph into a 3D oil painting
Photoshop CS6 Tutorial - Creating a Cool Text Graphic Image using Clipping Masks