In this activity, which is appropriate for beginners and intermediate level users, your students will create an artistic, textured collage depicting a city of their choice. Landmarks and symbols of a city are combined with a couple of industrial textures to create a gritty, urban feel.
Save over 40%
This product is also included in my bundle:Photoshop CS6 Bundle - 10 Complete Lessons for Beginners
Before giving students this assignment, it would be helpful for students to have an idea how to use basic selection tools such as the Polygon Lasso Tool or Magic Wand Tool. In addition to the Selection Tools, students will learn:
- how to use layer Blending Modes. (This allows you to hint at textures underneath images)
- how to use Filters from the Filter Gallery. (In this activity, I used the Watercolor Filter to make the images look somewhat hand painted)
- applying a Hue and Saturation adjustment layer to create a general color cast on the entire collage.
- how to make selections using the Color Range option. This is great for making difficult selections (for example the blue sky in the Brooklyn Bridge which is so connected to the bridge cables and support structure).
This lesson was created in Photoshop CS6 and can be adapted to other versions of Photoshop.
Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments regarding this assignment! I hope that you find it useful and I look forward to hearing from you.
Included in this package:
- a .pdf instruction file
- a student answer Photoshop file that contains the background image.
- A completed answer file.
- The city and texture images (all were non copyrighted images according to my google search).
- Take the time to do one yourself prior to presenting to the students so you are familiar with the steps.
- I recommend you demonstrate how to select a Color Range using the Brooklyn Bridge image.
- If you have time, show off students work when they are done, this is motivating for them.
Others you might like:
Photoshop CS6 Tutorial - Creating a Retro Polaroid Collage
Photoshop CS6 Tutorial - Turning a photograph into a 3D oil painting
Photoshop CS6 Tutorial - Creating a Cool Text Graphic Image using Clipping Masks