This unit is designed to learn about photosynthesis and respiration from a Marine Biologists perspective. It supports the needs of a regular classroom, but also the needs of GATE student. Students are required to "Think Like a Marine Biologist". This idea was inspired by Dr. Sandra Kaplan, USC gifted and talented expert. There are many activities that meet the common core standards in both science, reading and writing. The packet includes:
- Unit objectives poster "Training to become a Marine Biologist"
- Map of the oceans
- Vocabulary word wall cards
- Vocabulary squares activity
- Leaf Investigation Lab
- Photosynthesis writing activity, helps students understand the steps in the process
- Photosynthesis diagram activity
- Marine Life Magazine writing activity to help students summarize the photosynthesis process
- Photosynthesis in the Ocean article , quick draw summary a "best practices" student activity
- Phytoplankton diagram activity
- Our Oceans - Handle with Care! ranking activity "best practices"
- Photosynthesis and Respiration in the Ocean diagram activity
- Photosynthesis on Land activity
- Food in Leaves Investigation Lab
- Marine Biologist Training Evaluation Page
- Certificate of Achievement
- Answers Keys
Have fun teaching!!!