In this station activity, students will pretend to be evolutionary biologists analyzing evidence collected by a team of paleontologists about seven recently discovered extinct species. They will move around the classroom reading cards about the different extinct species and organizing evidence from their research into a table. This data will then be used to construct a phylogenetic tree that predicts the evolutionary history of the different species. Finally, students will answer five analysis questions using claim-evidence-reasoning (CER) statements to reflect on the activity. This resource is an excellent opportunity to practice creating and analyzing phylogenetic trees in a fun way!
What is included?
- 2 pages of teacher implementation notes, including suggestions for accommodating higher and lower level students (PDF)
- 2 pages of student handouts (PDF)
- 2 pages of student handouts for honors students (PDF)
- 7 station cards (PDF)
- Answer key (PDF)
How can I use this?
- Real world application to reinforce concepts of phylogeny
- Fun practice or review of phylogenetic trees prior to an exam or state EOC exam
- Engaging and meaningful sub plan
Why should I use this product in my classroom?
I LOVE using this resource in my classroom because it is a fun way to get students out of their seats and practice analyzing data, creating a phylogenetic tree, and writing CER statements when answering reflective questions.
What if I want more?
This product is part of my Evolution Unit bundle. Be sure to check it out by clicking HERE!
What if I have a question?
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, blogposts, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name, join my email newsletter, or follow me on Instagram. These are the three best ways to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at a discount by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.