PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
[Phys Ed] [Grades 5-8] Fitness Unit Theme Activities <5-8>
INCLUDES: Comprehensive bundle of Fitness Activities for Grades 5 through 8 - Physical Education
· UNIT OVERVIEW
Learning Focus - Fitness
Students will learn fitness concepts and participate in fitness activities through skills, challenges, and games.
· LONG-TERM LEARNING TARGETS
F.68.1 I can participate in activities that improve my fitness.
F.68.2 I can assess my personal fitness.
F.68.3 I can identify ways to improve my fitness.
· Supporting Learning Targets
I can take my pulse.
I can calculate my target heart rate.
I can assess my effort/exertion.
I can identify the components of fitness.
I can choose appropriate activities to enhance my level of fitness.
I can set goals.
I can plan and implement a fitness routine.
· INSTRUCTIONAL CONSIDERATIONS
· How do the components of fitness support each other?
· What activities will improve your fitness?
· How do you measure your level of exertion?
· How do you evaluate your fitness level when engaged in physical activity?
Endurance, flexibility, strength, muscle, abdomen, cardio-vascular, fitness, repetition, exercise, heart rate, aerobic, anaerobic
Muscle endurance, flexibility, abdominal strength, cardio-vascular endurance, body mass index, Target heart rate
· I have a good fitness level so I don’t have to exercise.
· I play a sport therefore I am physically fit.
Special Education / DAPE
Picture communication systems, varied pieces of equipment in size, color and texture, more time to complete task, peer assistance, space modifications.
· Specific Disability Recommendations
· Modification Organizer
· Picture communications systems, peer assistance, modeling.
· Child Developmental Considerations Ages 11-14
· INSTRUCTIONAL APPROACH
Agenda of Unit Fitness Resources
· Stationary Exercises
· Locomotor Exercises
· Flexibility Exercises
· Pulse Check Activity
· Road Runner tag
· Catch-up tag
· Caveman Workouts
· Daily Fitness Component
· Daily Fitness Checklist
· Traveling Fitness Equipment Stations
· Fitnessgram Practice
· Fitness Concept Unit
· FITT Principles
· Components of Fitness
· Rate of Perceived Exertion
· Target Heart Zone
· Warm up, Work out, Cool down
· Proper form for push-ups, sit-ups, sit and reach, trunk lift
· Pulse check
· Calculate Target HR (8)
· Exercises – upper body, lower body, flexibility, abdominal, cardio-vascular, running
· Target Heart rate
· Components of Fitness
· Perceived Intensity.
· Warm up and cool down
· FITT Principal
· Calculating Body Mass Index (BMI).
· Calculating Maximum Heart Rate
· Calculating percentages of Maximum Heart Rate.
· Calculating percentage improvement in fitness test scores.