Physical Education Physical Activity Distance Learning Web Assignments
- Easel Activity
Designed by the 2019 SHAPE America National High School Physical Education Teacher of the Year, this remote learning tool introduces students to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website where they can learn about important health and physical activity concepts. It has been said "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" These assignments guide students in exploring a website they can refer back to in the future when they have questions about wellness topics. Students explore the site, read information or watch videos, then answer questions to check for understanding. Students are also often prompted to reflect and apply new learning to real life situations.
These web assignments are intended for middle and high school health and physical education students and may be printed for use in class curriculum or homework or assigned during distance learning.
This tool has been formatted as a digital activity and can be assigned to students in the Google Classroom.
Each web assignment helps students learn state and national health and physical education standards. There are 4 web assignments. Each assignment is 2 pages long. Topics covered include:
· Physical Activity Recommendations
· Staying Physically Active While Social Distancing
· Benefits of Physical Activity
· Physical Activity Intensity
Ideas for how to use these assignments:
· These can be assigned as part of distance learning curriculum. Students can complete the assignments individually and submit from home as part of a remote learning plan as they have been formatted for use as digital assignments in Google Classroom.
· Web assignments can also be used as part of regular on campus physical education or health curriculum. The teacher can use computers with students to complete the assignments. Following completion of the assignments class discussions about the learning can occur.
· The web assignments can be sent home with students as homework. The day they are due and returned, the teacher can facilitate a brief discussion about the website students explored and the learning that occurred.
Note: All weblinks are current as of January 4th, 2021.