In this gallery walk, students move around stations where they encounter pictures of different properties and discuss with their partner whether that property is a physical or chemical property. Students must collaborate and verbally negotiate an understanding of these two terms.
Contents of this lesson include:
• Gallery walk student handout
• Gallery walk pictures with descriptions to post around the room (each page has 2 properties--cut them and put them in sheet protectors to save for next year!)
• Teacher answer key to student handout
Note: You may consider putting objects next to some of the pictured properties so students can observe what that property is really like (ex: next to viscosity have a bottle of corn syrup and a bottle of water so students can see the difference in viscosities).
Gallery Walk Pictures Include:
2. Ability to Rust
4. Heat of Combustion
7. Boiling temperature
15. Melting Temperature
Next Generation Science Standard(s) Addressed:
**5-PS1-3 Make observations and measurements to identify materials based on their properties.
**MS-PS1-2 Analyze and interpret data on the properties of substances before and after the substances interact to determine if a chemical reaction has occurred.
Other Great Products:
• Phases of Matter Gallery Walk
• Pandemic: How Fast Can You Spread Your Disease to the Whole World?
• Baby in A Bag: A Differentiated Guide to The NGSS Standard of Heredity
• A Minute In The Life of A Blood Cell
• Life Inside Your Digestive System Creative Writing Assignment
• Build An Imaginary Animal Brain
• The Dastardly Density Deed: A Differentiated Student Guide to Layering Liquids
• Up Up AWAY: Using Knowledge of the Phases of Matter to Launch a Bottle Rocket
• How Do I Know The Flavor Of My Food? An Inquiry Into Your Sense of Smell
• Saving Humpty Dumpty: An Introduction to the Skeletal System
Product download information:
This product download is a digital file. If you need help opening or printing a file, please refer to tech help within TpT
>>>>OR for corrected printing<<<<
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom. If you intend to share with others, please purchase an additional license.
**Don’t Miss Out On Teachers Pay Teachers Credits! After reviewing this product, I would love to hear how much you and your students like it!**