- Please see the individual product descriptions for details.April 2020 UPDATE: In addition to the printable PDFs of the student blank and answer key, a Google Docs version of the student document now included for easier distance learning use.$14.99$20.95Save $5.96
Question sets and answer keys to accompany selected documentary videos from NOVA. The documentaries align with specific elements of the physics curriculum in heat and temperature. These episodes are particularly useful in revealing the human and historical elements that traditional curriculum set aside.
- Absolute Zero – Part 1: The Conquest of Cold (33 questions) [BBC]
- Absolute Zero – Part 2: The Race for Absolute Zero (26 questions) [BBC]
Detailed descriptions of the documentaries can be found via online searches. The video content is may be accessible via purchase or via streaming on the Internet. Streaming availability seems to vary with time.
Lessons of Phyz advantages:
- A heavy font ensures high legibility even in dim lighting
- Questions are designed to be answered while the video plays—quick, simple responses keep students engaged without requiring deep reflection that would take them out of the presentation
- Question types are mixed: fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, check lists, and short answer are common; in some cases, matching or list-making
- Certain moments in a documentary merit undivided attention; no questions have been placed in those moments
- "Play to the buzzer": Whenever possible, the last question in the set is answered during the last seconds of the video
- I am a classroom teacher who has used these resources with my students
- There may be cheaper (or free) question sets for this video; if you look at them, you will see that they were not as carefully crafted or professionally prepared as this one
The zipped folder contains PDFs of student sheets and the answer keys.
April 2020 UPDATE: In addition to the printable PDFs of the student blank and answer key, a Google Docs version of the student document now included for easier distance learning use.