These activities are a perfect way to teach your students all about pi as a irrational number while practicing important math skills of converting fractions, decimals and percentages. Included are three different activities that all look at the number frequency of digits 0-9 in the decimal digits of pi. Not only can you use these activities in a variety of ways including for math stations, small groups, homework, enrichment or even as extra credit, but they will make for a fun pi day celebration!
*Click HERE to save money and purchase this product through the Pi Day Celebration Bundle.
Activity #1: Investigating Number Frequency of Pi
In this activity your students will:
- Examine the first 100 digits of pi.
- Keep a tally of how often the digits 0 through 9 occur.
- Use their math skills to convert the tallies into fractions and percentages.
- Create a bar graph based on their results.
- Reflect on the activity by answering questions at the end of the activity.
Activity #2: Coloring the Digits of Pi
- This can be added on to the previous activity or would be perfect for a pi day optional challenge activity. Your students will create a key of colors representing digits 0-9. They will then use their key to color a 100 grid representing the first 100 digits of pi.
- You could have your students color multiple grids to represent the first 200, 300 or even 400 digits of pi. The best part is that these make a fun visual and classroom display!
Activity #3: Number Frequency Group Challenge
- In this activity, small groups of students will take on the task of analyzing the number frequency of digits 0-9 in the first 200, 300, 400 or even 500 digits (you choose as the teacher) of pi!
- They will follow the guidelines of the challenge by answering questions, completing the frequency table and creating a poster with their analysis (which includes a pie chart).
- Also included is a grading sheet.
Check out what other teachers are saying about this resource:
- "Did this on Pi Day last year, and it was very neat to see the frequency charts displayed all together. Great resource."
- "Different than your typical Pi Day activity! Like it!"
- "My middle school students enjoyed this activity. Great to review fractions and percents along with graphing. Thanks!"
- "My students and I had a great time using this!"
- "Fun product and easy to incorporate into my PI day activities. Thanks!"
You may also be interested in some of my other pi products below:
Area and Circumference Color by Answer Activity
Pi Day Scavenger Hunt
Pi Day Crossword Challenge
Pi Bee Class Activity
Click HERE to follow me to be updated about products that are always 50% off for the first 24 hours!