In celebration of Pi Day with my students, I needed something relatively quick and interesting. I searched online and saw the idea of a "Pi Chain". The document is just the first 500 digits of Pi, nice and big, with directions of what I plan to do.
1. Have student grab 3 strips of construction paper
2. Tell them to decorate their strips with a number, BUT
**Yellow, Blue, and Purple Strips must be EVEN Numbers
**Orange, Red, and White must be ODD Numbers
**Pink must be ZERO
3. Once they decorate their strips, we will talk about what Pi is (I
will also show a video on YouTube called “Pi Explained in 3:14”
and I display my digits.
4. As I call out the digits, students will come up and connect their
number to the chain.
5. By the end of the day, since I have about 160 students, our class
chain will be almost 500 digits long!!
I also added a Pi Equals Sheet (Printed on 8.5 X 14 paper) to be at
the start of the chain! (Last Page)
Edit anything you want to suit your needs. Enjoy!
PS...Don't forget to leave your opinion ;-)