This resource contains an informative 62 slide PowerPoint on pi and Pi Day.
The contents include
- The history of pi - Babylon and Egypt - Rhind Papyrus
- Archimedes calculations - Pythagorean Theorem and use of polygons
- Origin of pi symbol – William Jones and Leonhard Euler
- Infinite nature of pi – irrational number
- World record holders for memorisation of pi digits
- Piems and mnemonics for remembering pi digits and formulas for circumference and area of circle
- Pi Day
- Different ways Pi Day is celebrated
- How hat size is determined by pi
- Reference to Albert Einstein sharing his birthday with Pi Day
- Suggestions and ideas for Pi Day activities -pi necklace or bracelet, making piems / mnemonics, cutting pi
The PowerPoint contains hyperlinks to
- Display of the first million digits of pi
- Pi rap called ‘Lose Yourself In The Digits’ by Pi Diddy
- Video - Math Antics - Circles, What Is Pi?
- Pi-Search Page - a web site that searches the first 200 million digits of pi in a fraction of a second
- Pi Domino Spiral
More Pi Day Resources
Pi Themed Partner Battleships Game
Pi Day Party Pack – Jam Packed with Educational and Fun Activities!