Picture a Scientist [PBS NOVA]
- Google Drive™ folder
PICTURE A SCIENTIST chronicles the groundswell of researchers who are writing a new chapter for women scientists. Biologist Nancy Hopkins, chemist Raychelle Burks, and geologist Jane Willenbring lead viewers on a journey deep into their own experiences in the sciences, ranging from brutal harassment to years of subtle slights. Along the way, from cramped laboratories to spectacular field stations, we encounter scientific luminaries - including social scientists, neuroscientists, and psychologists - who provide new perspectives on how to make science itself more diverse, equitable, and open to all.
This film was included in PBS NOVA's Season 48 as Episode 6. Running time: 1h33m. This resource consists of 38 questions.
Lessons of Phyz advantages:
- A heavy font ensures high legibility even in dim lighting.
- Questions are designed to be answered while the video plays—quick, simple responses keep students engaged without requiring deep reflection that would take them out of the presentation.
- Question types are mixed: fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, and short answer are common; in some cases, matching or simple illustrations are involved.
- Certain moments in a video lesson merit undivided attention. No questions have been placed in those moments.
- "Play to the buzzer": Whenever possible, the last question in the set is answered during the last seconds of the video.
- I am a classroom teacher; I designed these resources for use with my own students.
- If you find competing products online, by all means check them out. They may be cheaper; they may be free. None of them will be as professional, polished, or classroom-ready as this one.
The Google Docs files provided in this product are suitable for use online for remote instruction and make-up work and/or for printing and photocopying for in-person instruction. They are ready to use whichever way you need to use them.