* Download the preview for details! *
This 2-day lesson includes 6 pages of guided notes, 2 two-page assignments, and an extra page of challenging piecewise functions (quadratic pieces).
*No prerequisite piecewise knowledge needed! Students will observe many types of functions, but they will only graph lines (and parabolas, if using the extra sheet provided).
Students learn about piecewise functions in the order below. They will:
- Learn how to read and evaluate a piecewise function, both algebraically and graphically
- Understand what makes them “functions” (vertical line test)
- Graph 2-piece piecewise functions (linear)
- On day two, graph 3-piece piecewise functions (linear)
- Discover step functions and their real-world applications
- Gain more understanding on open and closed endpoints
Answer key is included!