In this lesson students will learn about pinwheels and couplets. Then, they’ll complete a brainstorm filled with wishes that they have for their lives. Next, they’ll turn their brainstorm into four different couplets. After improving their couplets, they’ll write their poetry on a pinwheel shape. Finally, they’ll put together a pinwheel filled with poetic wishes!
Here are some ways that you might use this resource in your classroom:
• Add this poem to your Poetry Writing Unit.
• Teach this poem as a celebration of spring or summer.
• Align this poem with Pinwheels for Peace (September 21st).
• Create poems and display them around the classroom for Open House or Curriculum Night.
• Use the pinwheel poems as decorations for a poetry reading or presentation.
• Teach this poem to celebrate the Chinese New Year.
This FREE lesson and activity includes:
• Detailed lesson plan (2 pages)
• Pinwheel assembly directions (with step-by-step photos)
• Building background (pinwheels & couplets)
• Brainstorm Handout
• Writing Worksheet
• Pinwheel Template – shape and handle
Popular Poetry Resources:
• Poetry Writing Unit (11 Days)
• Poetry Analysis Unit (5 Days)
• Doodle and Do Figurative Language Unit
• 4 Doodle and Do Poet and Poem Studies
• A Year of Poetry Analysis
You may also like…
101 Writing Prompts
Narrative Writing Unit
Memoir Study and Writing Unit
Reading Comprehension Skills - MEGA BUNDLE!
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction