It's time to integrate this engaging and interactive social studies project into the reading block! I designed this product for teachers to be able to use in centers and small groups. Each group pretends to be a pioneer family traveling out west. As they read about the hardships that pioneers faced, “families” are confronted with a problem that they must work together to solve. Once families have solved each problem, students can share their solutions with other families. These activities can lead to great whole group discussions.
All topics include informational text and a "what would you do" activity:
- What were the Oregon Trail, the Gold Rush, and the Homestead Act?
- Pioneer Life
- Life on the Trail
- Why move west?
- Daily Dilemma: Animal Challenge
- Daily Dilemma: Wagon Challenge
- Daily Dilemma: Weather Challenge
- Daily Dilemma: Sickness and Death
- Daily Dilemma: Crossing a River
- The Trading Post
- The Pioneer Settlement
- Pioneer Quiz (10 questions) and Answer Key