Pioneers & Westard Expansion Lesson Plan Bundle and Interactive Notebook Activities
★ ☆ ★ This bundle requires absolutely NO PREPARATION! ★ ☆ ★
Click on the GREEN PREVIEW button above to see what's inside!
Unit contains 8 detailed editable lesson plans / thematic unit plans with Higher Order Thinking Questions.
Lesson Plan # 1: Wagons West to Oregon: The Journey Begins
Lesson Plan # 2: Wagons West to Oregon: Life on the Trail
Lesson Plan # 3: Wagons West to Oregon: Landmarks
Lesson Plan # 4: Wagons West to Oregon: Apples To Oregon (Historical Fiction)
Lesson Plan # 5: The California Gold Rush: Gold Fever
Lesson Plan # 6: The California Gold Rush: Boomtowns
Lesson Plan # 7: The California Gold Rush: Levi’s Jeans
Lesson Plan # 8: Publish Your Pioneers Books
Bundle Also Includes a Social Studies Learning Menu with Grading Rubric and Social Studies Notebook Checklist with Rubric.
Pioneers & The Old West Interactive Notebook and Lapbook Templates
Interactive Notebooks and lapbooks are a type of portfolio or collection of student work on a variety of topics using flaps and/or folded displays. Most lapbooks are created out of office file folders which are then folded in half. Lapbooks allow students to showcase their work by providing them an interactive space for sketches and drawings, story summaries, graphical information, timelines, charts, and other forms of written work. Best of all, they can range from any topic or unit study. They truly let students creatively display their work in a way that interests them the most, which allows for a multitude of differentiation for each individual student.
Interactive Notebook Contains:
• Vocabulary cards
• Important places/landmarks cards
• Venn Diagram: Compare and contrast the Oregon Trail and the California Gold Rush
• Compare and Contrast Amanda’s Pies and Levi’s Jeans
• Newspaper Headline: Create a persuasive newspaper headline designed to convince people to head west either to Oregon or California.
• Advertisement: Create your own advertisement designed to introduce customers to the new denim jeans sold by Levi Strauss.
• Timeline: Create a timeline describing important moments in America’s westward expansion
• Cause/Effect: Analyze the causes and effects of the Oregon Trail and the California Gold Rush
• How To: Show how resourceful the pioneers were
• Political Cartoon: Create a political cartoon designed to convey a message and make a point to your audience: Bringing Oregon Trail landmarks to life, like Devil’s Backbone and Snake River or showing what “Gold Fever” would look like if we took this figurative phrase literally and humorous scenes describing Boomtowns and Ghost Towns.
• Acrostic Poems: Create an acrostic poem using the word “Oregon” and “Gold Rush.”
• Pioneer Song: Create your own pioneer song designed to describe what life was like during this exciting period of American history.
• Historical Fiction Journal Entry: pretend you were a pioneer during this period of history and create a realistic journal entry describing your experience.
Common Core Aligned.
Answer Key included.
You May Also Be Interested in Our The American Revolution Lesson Plans and Interactive Notebook Mega Bundle
♥ Like this resource? Share with others by pinning our product on Pinterest so others will find it! Just click on the "Pin It" button on the left side of this page and share with others!
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @ DynamicDuoTpT
for new products, TpT news, and special $ecret $ales!
♥ Please leave feedback! You'll let others know how you used the product and in the process, you'll earn credit points to save on future products!
♥ Like what you see? Follow our store by clicking on the Green ★ at the top of this page!
© DynamicDuo101, 2016