This is a hands-on center, plus supporting printables to make for preschool, pre-K and early Kindergarten. It would work well with a community helper, food or pizza theme.
11 numbered pizzas, 0-10; number names for each number, written on pizza box cards; 1 unnumbered pizza and box; page of pepperoni slices; page of numbers, 0-10, and a plus, minus and equals sign; 2 cut and paste printables; an emergent reader where groups of pepperoni slices can be drawn on pizzas. Click on the PREVIEW to see all these pages.
Ways to use the resource:
• Center- Print the 1 1 large pizzas on cardstock, and cut them out either around the crust, or on the dotted line. Print and cut out several pages of pepperoni,. The children count the pepperoni onto the pizzas, according to the number on each pizza.
• Center - Match the number word names on the pizza boxes with each pizza, either along with the pepperoni slices, and/or the pizza box with the number clue on it.
• Small group - give each child a pizza without a number on it, and a set of pepperoni pieces. Leader picks up a pizza box number card and calls it out, and the children make a set of that many pepperonis on their pizza.
• Wall display – teacher glues or tapes sets of pepperoni on the numbered pizzas, and makes a display on the wall, in numerical order. Add a larger more visible number to each pizza (included).
• Addition and subtraction stories: Use three unnumbered pizzas with the plus, minus and equals signs, and create number stories with the pepperoni pieces for the children to “tell”.
• Cut and paste printables (b/w) – children cut out numbers and match with groups of pepperoni slices.
• Emergent reader (b/w) – Make a reader for each child. They can draw pepperoni slices on pizzas form 1 through five, and on the last page complete a pizza for themselves, drawing as many pepperonis as the wish. There is a space to write the number.
KidSparkz Teacher Resources