These 14 games have everything you need for teaching CCSS-aligned first grade place value and addition/subtraction for only $1 each! The games reinforce each Number and Operations in Base Ten Common Core standard (1.NBT.A.1, 1.NBT.A.2, 1.NBT.B.3, 1.NBT.C.4, 1.NBT.C.5, 1.NBT.C.6) covering key learning targets such as:
• Counting to 120 from any given number
• Reading and writing numerals to 120
• Explaining what each digit of a two digit number means (tens and ones)
• Representing and recognizing numbers using tens and ones in base ten blocks
• Comparing 2 digit numbers using greater than, less than, and equal to signs
• Adding within 100
• Using addition/subtraction strategies (hundred chart, number line, base ten blocks, written method, mental math)
• Adding a 2 digit number and a 1 digit number
• Using mental math to add and subtract 10
• Explaining how to find 10 more and 10 less than a number
• Subtracting multiples of 10
Although the games are perfect for two player math stations, math centers, math tubs, etc., you can engage your students in meaningful problem solving discussions by having them all play the same game at the same time for about 10 minutes per day. This is a math partner game routine I've created and explained thoroughly in the product download (click the "Preview" button to the right to read about it now.) These are the three main benefits to having all kids play the same game at the same time: 1) You can conduct mini-lessons and strategy discussions around shared experiences before and after game play, 2) You can focus on facilitating critical thinking and observing students' problem solving attempts during game play, and 3) Students play the same game for a week, so you have lots of targeted opportunities for reinforcing higher-level thinking skills, identifying and addressing misconceptions, and scaffolding student learning.
There are so many games included in this product that you can play some during math partner game routines, use some as small group lessons or whole class lesson activities, place some in your math centers, and even send some home for students to play with their families! The game cards and resources can double as student manipulatives during math lessons. Each and every one of these versatile games features:
- Integration of higher-level thinking and critical thinking skills (not just rote practice)
- Hands-on activities through which kids actively construct knowledge: no worksheets!
- Options for open-ended game play so that students are not "finished" until time is up
- "Challenge" activities to extend game play and/or differentiate it
- "Math Talk" questions/prompts to encourage students to analyze strategies and reflect orally or in writing about what they're learning
These two player math games were created for (not retro-fitted to) the increased rigor of the CCSS, so they will be challenging for most students. The games are designed to help you model and reinforce the math practices and core content skills that students will need when solving complex, multi-step word problems. Here's what you'll get in the product download:
* 20 pages of info and forms that contain everything you need to get started with math partner games. There are blank partner game lists, tips (with photos!) for how to create/ store/ organize/ distribute/ collect the games, and lots of ideas for how the games can be used for skill-based mini lessons and math journal reflections.
* 14 pages of game instructions: there's one page for each game, featuring the materials needed, directions for game play, a Challenge activity, Math Talk
questions/prompts, the CCSS alignment, and student-friendly "I Can" statements.
* 32 pages of sports-and-stars-themed game boards, cards, and other colorful and fun materials for game play. Most of the materials are open-ended and can be used in lots of different ways so you have fewer items to print and create. The only additional items you need to provide are page protector sheets and Vis-à-vis or dry erase markers, dice, and base ten block manipulatives.
UPDATED: PRINT AND GO! Your purchase now includes a link to a folder with individual PDFs for each game! If you only want to print and use one game at a time, you can easily print just the PDF with that game’s instructions and materials.
IMPORTANT: These games are designed to be introduced and modeled by the teacher before releasing students to play on their own. Because the games are rigorous and not basic matching/sorting activities, the directions may be too difficult for most 1st graders to read and follow independently if you have not previously shown them how to play. I encourage you to view a sample of the game instructions by clicking the “Preview” button to the right before buying.
ALSO NOTE: I have adapted each game concept to meet the level of rigor required at the corresponding grade level, and no two games are exactly alike. However, because there is some overlap in the place value standards between grade levels, some of the games and materials in the 1st-5th number and operations products are similar. Please keep this in mind when considering whether to purchase games for multiple grade levels.
I'm in the process of creating Common Core aligned math partner games for all CCSS domains in grades 1-5. If you'd like to receive an email from TpT when I've added a new grade level or skill/concept to the math partner games product series, click "Follow" at the top of my store page.
See what other teachers are saying!
Amazing games and beautifully created. I am looking forward to introducing these to my Grade one students. I love the way the cards for each game are set out with the standards, resources needed and especially the essential questions. This resource is EXCELLENT! - Yvonne P.
We love it! Our District ordered it for our first grade team! - H Duane H.
I enjoy using these with my first graders during independent and partner work. Some of the activities are simple and I already used with students, but the organization of your system was helpful! - Kayla A.
Remarkable!!!!!!! Thank you so much for your hard work! This packet is amazing! Super excited to use these games with my first graders! - Anita M.
Terrific games to reinforce and LOVE the math talk suggestions! - Julie S.
Wow! I absolutely adore these games. They are easy for the students to learn and are perfect for reinforcing concepts to build fluency. They were easy to print (I used cardstock & laminated) and assemble. I had a parent helper help me with the cutting and making sure that extra items, like dice were on hand. Much more cost-effective than a store-purchased game. Thank you! - Michele Smyth
This has been a great tool for my combination class! - Clark’s Classroom
I have really enjoyed using these games in my classroom. They help see who gets the concepts and who doesn't, and the students also like playing them! Thank you for you thorough instructions and your list of ideas on how to use the games and how to store them. Excellent! - Laura M.
I love your math packets and how they incorporate the CCSS. - Laura D.
You might also like:
Be sure to check out my website where there are hundreds of pages of classroom management resources that make teaching more effective, efficient, and enjoyable! You'll find photos, activities, printable forms/posters, and more.