These 12 games have everything you need for teaching CCSS-aligned third grade place value and addition/subtraction for only $1 each! The games reinforce each Number and Operations in Base Ten Common Core standard (3.NBT.A.1, 3.NBT.A.3, and 3.NBT.A.3) covering key learning targets such as:
• Rounding numbers to the nearest 10
• Rounding numbers to the nearest 100
• Using addition/subtraction strategies such as a number line, base ten blocks, the written method, and mental math
• Adding within 1,000 (2 and 3 digit addition)
• Subtracting within 1,000 (2 and 3 digit subtraction)
• Use strategies to multiply a 1 digit number times a multiple of 10 (5 x 20, 6 x 30, etc.)
Although the games are perfect for two player math stations, math centers, math tubs, etc., you can engage your students in meaningful problem solving discussions by having them all play the same game at the same time for about 10 minutes per day. This is a math partner game routine I've created and explained thoroughly in the product download (click the "Preview" button to the right to read about it now.) These are the three main benefits to having all kids play the same game at the same time: 1) You can conduct mini-lessons and strategy discussions around shared experiences before and after game play, 2) You can focus on facilitating critical thinking and observing students' problem solving attempts during game play, and 3) Students play the same game for a week, so you have lots of targeted opportunities for reinforcing higher-level thinking skills, identifying and addressing misconceptions, and scaffolding student learning.
There are so many games included in this product that you can play some during math partner game routines, use some as small group lessons or whole class lesson activities, place some in your math centers, and even send some home for students to play with their families! The game cards and resources can double as student manipulatives during math lessons. Each and every one of these versatile games features:
- Integration of higher-level thinking and critical thinking skills (not just rote practice)
- Hands-on activities through which kids actively construct knowledge: no worksheets!
- Options for open-ended game play so that students are not "finished" until time is up
- "Challenge" activities to extend game play and/or differentiate it
- "Math Talk" questions/prompts to encourage students to analyze strategies and reflect orally or in writing about what they're learning
These two player math games were created for (not retro-fitted to) the increased rigor of the CCSS, so they will be challenging for most students. The games are designed to help you model and reinforce the math practices and core content skills that students will need when solving complex, multi-step word problems. Here's what you'll get in the product download:
* 20 pages of info and forms that contain everything you need to get started with math partner games. There are blank partner game lists, tips (with photos!) for how to create/ store/ organize/ distribute/ collect the games, and lots of ideas for how the games can be used for skill-based mini lessons and math journal reflections.
* 12 pages of game instructions: there's one page for each game, featuring the materials needed, directions for game play, a Challenge activity, Math Talk
questions/prompts, the CCSS alignment, and student-friendly "I Can" statements.
* 38 pages of sports-and-stars-themed game boards, cards, and other colorful and fun materials for game play. Most of the materials are open-ended and can be used in lots of different ways so you have fewer items to print and create. The only additional items you need to provide are page protector sheets and Vis-à-Vis or dry erase markers, dice, paperclips to make spinners, and base ten block manipulatives.
UPDATED: PRINT AND GO! Your purchase now includes a link to a folder with individual PDFs for each game! If you only want to print and use one game at a time, you can easily print just the PDF with that game’s instructions and materials.
NOTE: I have adapted each game concept to meet the level of rigor required at the corresponding grade level, and no two games are exactly alike. However, because there is some overlap in the place value standards between grade levels, some of the games and materials in the 1st-5th number and operations products are similar. Please keep this in mind when considering whether to purchase games for multiple grade levels.
This item was added 8.1.13.
I'm in the process of creating Common Core aligned math partner games for all CCSS domains in grades 1-5. If you'd like to receive an email from TpT when I've added a new grade level or skill/concept to the math partner games product series, click "Follow" at the top of my store page.
See what other teachers are saying!
I am an avid believer in teaching through games. These were a wonderful example as to how games work to provide reinforcement to skills taught! Great job! - Anonymous Buyer
Using this with 3rd grade resource room group. the games are so much better than worksheets, and I LOVE the connections to Common Core. - Martha F.
Thank you! I used similar resources from you last year when I was in a different grade level with great success, so I was thrilled to find materials for Grade 3. These will be helpful to use during centers! You always have wonderful and practical ideas to use in the classroom. Thank you! - Jennifer Brown
These have been the perfect intervention/small group tool to use with my older elementary kids that are still struggling with some of these basic facts and strategies. - Kim
This packet saved me so much time in finding resources. Thank you! - Kimberly T.
What a fabulous resource. I needed some more tiered centers, and this will really help me differentiate my students learning. - Sarah Edwards
I am slowly introducing the games and so far they've been a hit. This year's class has needed a lot of review on place value so these games are a lifesaver! - Anonymous Buyer
Super games...I changed grade levels this year. These have made preparation so much easier. - Cheryl F.
You might also like:
3rd Grade Operations & Algebraic Thinking: 11 Math Partner Games for Common Core
3rd Grade Fractions Math Partner Games:10 Games Designed for Common Core
3rd Grade Geometry Math Partner Games: 7 CCSS games for 2D shapes & equal parts
Discussion Starters for Math Problem Solving: Questions for modeling and reinforcing CCSS
Multiplication KITs: Fun math fact practice games for centers or homework
Addition KITs: Fun math fact practice games for centers or homework
Be sure to check out my website where there are hundreds of pages of classroom management resources that make teaching more effective, efficient, and enjoyable! You'll find photos, activities, printable forms/posters, and more.