This lesson teaches part of the standard 4.NBT.2: Read and write multi-digit whole numbers using base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form. Compare two multi-digit numbers based on meanings of the digits in each place, using >, =, and < symbols to record the results of comparisons.
It specifically covers converting from a standard form number to expanded form, and from expanded to standard.
There are 21 slides total:
- 1 objective slide.
- 2 vocabulary slides that cover standard form and expanded form.
- 2 review slides that review the value of a digit. I have a lesson that covers this. You can access that here: Place Value: The value of a digit *EDITABLE* PowerPoint presentation
- 4 slides teaching standard to expanded.
- 4 slides teaching expanded to standard.
- 8 practice slides to solidify the concept. Use as many of these as your class needs.
This lesson is fully editable, so you can change it for the needs of your students. There are animations on the slides to help make the lesson seamless. There are also some questions to help promote discussions of the concepts.