These 14games cover every CCSS-aligned fourth grade Number and Operations in Base Ten topic for only $1 each! The games reinforce the place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division standards covered in the 4.NBT.A.1, 4.NBT.A.2,
4.NBT.A.3, 4.NBT.B.4, 4.NBT.B.5, and 4.NBT.B.6 standards, including skills such as:
- Explaining that in a multi-digit whole number, a digit in one place represents ten times what it represents in the place to its right
-reading and writing whole numbers up to one million
-using standard form, word names, and expanded form for numbers up to one million
-comparing numbers up to one million and using the terms greater than, less than, and equal to
-rounding six digit numbers to any place value (rounding to the nearest 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000, and 100,000)
-fluently adding and subtracting numbers up to one million
-multiplying a two digit number times another two digit number
-multiplying a one digit number times another number with up to 4 digits
-dividing a 4 digit number by a 1 digit number
-using arrays and area models to solve 4 digit by 1 digit multiplication and division problems
Although the games are perfect for two player math stations, math centers, math tubs, etc., you can engage your students in meaningful problem solving discussions by having them all play the same game at the same time for about 10 minutes per day. This is a math partner game routine I've created and explained thoroughly in the product download (click the "Preview" button to the right to read about it now.) These are the three main benefits to having all kids play the same game at the same time: 1) You can conduct mini-lessons and strategy discussions around shared experiences before and after game play, 2) You can focus on facilitating critical thinking and observing students' problem solving attempts during game play, and 3) Students play the same game for a week, so you have lots of targeted opportunities for reinforcing higher-level thinking skills, identifying and addressing misconceptions, and scaffolding student learning.
There are so many games included in this product that you can play some during math partner game routines, use some as small group lessons or whole class lesson activities, place some in your math centers, and even send some home for students to play with their families! The game cards and resources can double as student manipulatives during math lessons. Each and every one of these versatile games features:
- Integration of higher-level thinking and critical thinking skills (not just rote practice)
- Hands-on activities through which kids actively construct knowledge: no worksheets!
- Options for open-ended game play so that students are not "finished" until time is up
- "Challenge" activities to extend game play and/or differentiate it
- "Math Talk" questions/prompts to encourage students to analyze strategies and reflect orally or in writing about what they're learning
These two player math games were created for (not retro-fitted to) the increased rigor of the CCSS, so they will be challenging for most students. The games are designed to help you model and reinforce the math practices and core content skills that students will need when solving complex, multi-step word problems. Here's what you'll get in the product download:
* 20 pages of info and forms that contain everything you need to get started with math partner games. There are blank partner game lists, tips (with photos!) for how to create/ store/ organize/ distribute/ collect the games, and lots of ideas for how the games can be used for skill-based mini lessons and math journal reflections.
* 14 pages of game instructions: there's one page for each game, featuring the materials needed, directions for game play, a Challenge activity, Math Talk questions/prompts, the CCSS alignment, and student-friendly "I Can" statements.
* 42 pages of sports-and-stars themed game boards, cards, spinners, and other colorful and fun materials for game play. Most of the materials are open-ended and can be used in lots of different ways so you have fewer items to print and create. The only additional items you need to provide are dice, paperclips to make spinners, two color counters, plastic page protectors, and Vis-à-Vis markers (to re-use pages).
UPDATED: PRINT AND GO! Your purchase now includes a link to a folder with individual PDFs for each game! If you only want to print and use one game at a time, you can easily print just the PDF with that game’s instructions and materials.
PLEASE NOTE: I have adapted each game concept to meet the level of rigor required at the corresponding grade level, and no two games are exactly alike. However, because there is some overlap in the CCSS between grade levels, some of the games and materials in the 1st-5th grade number and operations in base ten products are similar. Please keep this in mind when considering whether to purchase games for multiple grade levels.
I'm in the process of creating Common Core aligned math partner games for all CCSS domains in grades 1-5. If you'd like to receive an email from TpT when I've added a new grade level or skill/concept to the math partner games product series, click "Follow" at the top of my store page.
See what other teachers are saying!
Love these activities! Will be using these to spiral during my math workshop as well as reinforce a new skill. All the games are so engaging and creative! -Rachel D.
Always looking for good games to implement lessons! These are great! - Carrie M.
As always, wonderful materials. I already had fractions and operations/algebra. These will make a great addition to my collection. Thanks so much! - Gerladine K.
I am so excited to use these! I plan to use them in my "Math Game Lending Library" for students to continue to practice math skills at home and to involve families in their child's learning! - K W.
There were so many wonderful games that I had a hard time deciding which ones to print for the beginning of the year! - Pamela Carrier
Thank you so much for these games! I struggled having the time to make and find games for my kids once the year started rolling...this will be a wonderful addition to my math work stations! - Mary K
You might also like:
Be sure to check out my website where there are hundreds of pages of classroom management resources that make teaching more effective, efficient, and enjoyable! You'll find photos, activities, printable forms/posters, and more.