These fifteen games cover every Common Core-aligned fifth grade Number and Operations in Base Ten topic for only $1 each! The games reinforce the place value, decimals, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division standards covered in the 5.NBT.A.1, 5.NBT.A.2, 5.NBT.A.3, 5.NBT.B.4, 5.NBT.B.5, and 5.NBT.B.6 and 5.NBT.B.6 standards, including skills such as:
-recognizing that a digit in one place represents 1/10 of the place value to its left
-representing powers of 10 using exponents
-identifying patterns when multiplying a number by powers of 10
-explaining the placement of the decimal point when a decimal is multiplied or divided by powers of 10
-reading and writing decimals to thousandths
-using standard form/base ten numerals, number names, and expanded form for decimals
-comparing decimals to thousandths using the terms and signs greater than, less than, and equal to
-rounding decimals to any place value
-fluently multiplying multi-digit whole numbers
-dividing a 4 digit number by a 2 digit number using a variety of strategies
-adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimals to hundredths
Although the games are perfect for two player math stations, math centers, math tubs, etc., you can engage your students in meaningful problem solving discussions by having them all play the same game at the same time for about 10 minutes per day. This is a math partner game routine I've created and explained thoroughly in the product download (click the "Preview" button to the right to read about it now.) These are the three main benefits to having all kids play the same game at the same time: 1) You can conduct mini-lessons and strategy discussions around shared experiences before and after game play, 2) You can focus on facilitating critical thinking and observing students' problem solving attempts during game play, and 3) Students play the same game for a week, so you have lots of targeted opportunities for reinforcing higher-level thinking skills, identifying and addressing misconceptions, and scaffolding student learning.
There are so many games included in this product that you can play some during math partner game routines, use some as small group lessons or whole class lesson activities, place some in your math centers, and even send some home for students to play with their families! The game cards and resources can double as student manipulatives during math lessons. Each and every one of these versatile games features:
- Integration of higher-level thinking and critical thinking skills (not just rote practice)
- Hands-on activities through which kids actively construct knowledge: no worksheets!
- Options for open-ended game play so that students are not "finished" until time is up
- "Challenge" activities to extend game play and/or differentiate it
- "Math Talk" questions/prompts to encourage students to analyze strategies and reflect orally or in writing about what they're learning
These two player math games were created for (not retro-fitted to) the increased rigor of the CCSS, so they will be challenging for most students. The games are designed to help you model and reinforce the math practices and core content skills that students will need when solving complex, multi-step word problems. Here's what you'll get in the product download:
* 20 pages of info and forms that contain everything you need to get started with math partner games. There are blank partner game lists, tips (with photos!) for how to create/ store/ organize/ distribute/ collect the games, and lots of ideas for how the games can be used for skill-based mini lessons and math journal reflections.
* 15 pages of game instructions: there's one page for each game, featuring the materials needed, directions for game play, a Challenge activity, Math Talk
questions/prompts, the CCSS alignment, and student-friendly "I Can" statements.
* 40+ pages of sports/all-stars themed game boards, cards, spinners, and other colorful and fun materials for game play. Most of the materials are open-ended and can be used in lots of different ways so you have fewer items to print and create. The only additional items you need to provide are dice, paperclips to make spinners, two color counters, plastic page protectors, and Vis-à-Vis markers (to re-use pages).
UPDATED: PRINT AND GO! Your purchase now includes a link to a folder with individual PDFs for each game! If you only want to print and use one game at a time, you can easily print just the PDF with that game’s instructions and materials.
PLEASE NOTE: I have adapted each game concept to meet the level of rigor required at the corresponding grade level, and no two games are exactly alike. However, because there is some overlap in the CCSS between grade levels, some of the games and materials in the 1st-5th grade number and operations in base ten products are similar. Please keep this in mind when considering whether to purchase games for multiple grade levels.
I'm in the process of creating Common Core aligned math partner games for all CCSS domains in grades 1-5. If you'd like to receive an email from TpT when I've added a new grade level or skill/concept to the math partner games product series, click "Follow" at the top of my store page.
See what other teachers are saying!
Kids loved them! I use them at the Hands-on Math station for guided math. - Alissa S.
Great games. My students really enjoy using them! Thank you! - Kelly Stevens
LOVE LOVE LOVE these games! I highly suggest this -- it was easy to implement, the kids loved them AND they helped them practice specific skills. - Anonymous Buyer
These games have really enhanced my students' understanding of place value. They have thoroughly enjoyed playing them. Instructions are clear and games are easy to make. Thanks! - Cathy H.
Great quality product! Looking forward to using these with my students. Thanks! - Alicia T.
Great QUALITY games that require critical thinking! - Julia T.
These will come in handy during math workshop. Thank you very much! - Brandi Fleckentstein
Amazing Quality! I can't wait to play them all with my class! I was so excited I bought all of your fifth grade CCSS math games! - Nicole B.
You might also like:
Be sure to check out my website where there are hundreds of pages of classroom management resources that make teaching more effective, efficient, and enjoyable! You'll find photos, activities, printable forms/posters, and more.