Watch your students get excited about place value and vocabulary! They will consider this alphabet a fun challenge and enjoy discovering the value of each letter and word.
The Place Value Alphabet is a complete set of letters drawn in tens and ones. Below each letter, a student completes a tens and ones place value chart and has space to write the standard form, the expanded form, and the word form for each letter. Students begin by circling the tens and numbering the ones that form each letter. If there is a group of 10 ones, they will circle it as a ten. Students will count the tens and ones and record the place value math.
This product includes:
• all 26 letters of the alphabet
• a key
• 2 sets of colored letters to build words to use as examples
1. Math Game: These are questions that students will be able to ask each other and answer once they have completed the Place Value Alphabet. Laminate answer keys for students to self check.
How many tens are in letter ____? How many ones in letter ____? What is the value of letter ____? What is the standard form of letter____? What is the expanded form of letter ____? Spell the word form of letter____?
2. Once students know regrouping, have them create words and add all the letters to discover the value of each word.
Art and Cross Curricular Extensions:
1. Once the students have completed the math in the Place Value Alphabet, have them choose two markers, one color for the tens and another for the ones.
2. Students can cut letters from their alphabet and create words on a 6”x18” sheet of construction paper. (see examples on cover sheet) These word collages make a great bulletin board!
3. Keep cut up letters and construction paper stored in pockets so once students have completed assignments, they can quickly create word collages and solve for place value of:
• Their name
• Math Vocabulary
• Spelling Words
• High Frequency Words (Sight Words)
• Science Vocabulary