These charts came from my struggle to teach my students rounding using place value strategies. I quickly realized they weren't able to round because they didn't have a strong number sense with large numbers.
Filling out these charts helped students to count by ten thousands or hundred thousands and find mathematical patterns in the numbers. We also adapted and used many activities that are often used on a regular hundreds chart, such as shading ten thousand more or ten thousand less, color coding patterns we noticed and using it to chorally count by large amounts. When we moved to rounding, the kids were finally able to visually see the nearest ten thousand or hundred thousand to a given number.
This packet includes:
- a blank chart
- a blank thousands chart
- a blank ten thousands chart
- a blank hundred thousands chart
- a blank millions chart
- a blank tenths chart
- a blank hundredths chart
- a blank thousandths
- 4 thousands charts with starter numbers
- 4 ten thousands charts with starter numbers
- 4 hundred thousands chart
- a form for listing mathematical patterns in the charts